SATA Hard Drive Issues

logininfo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Recently my computer has started having troubles during boot. A few days ago I shut my system down for the night, the next morning when turning it on I started getting errors, either DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER or, Error loading operating system. When these errors occur the drive is not recognized in the BIOS anywhere however the drive has power and is spinning.

It usually takes a few restarts before the drive is recognized again and when it does boot up it doesn't act up; performance is the same as usual and it doesn't overheat or make any loud noise.

I ran the Data Lifeguard tools from the Western Digital site on my drive, it found nothing wrong with it in both quick and extended scans. I have checked all the cords going to the drive they all work, I have swapped cords and tried moving which port it plugs into. I used the Western Digital tools to do a full write-zeros on my drive and then reinstalled the OS and updated still it sometimes won't recognize the drive. I have updated the BIOS and tried putting a jumper on the drive to limit it to 1.5 speeds. Nothing has been successful so far.

After the computer gets running I can restart it no problem, it loads every time after a restart. However if I do a complete shutdown it has problems starting back up. I can boot fine with CD's and USB's just the hard drive has issues sometimes. I have not had any crashes recently, and the temp doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hard Drive: 160GB Western Digital Caviar WD1600AAJS-00B4A0
Motherboard: Foxconn M61PMV
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.60GHz
4GB ram

It has been working fine for the past 10 months. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks in advance

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Try changing the SATA cable: sometimes, marginal tolerances
can cause a connector to go bad, and it shows up most often
when the connector is cold.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE AMOUNT OF RESISTANCE YOU FEEL
IN THAT SATA CABLE, WHEN YOU DISCONNECT IT.

We had a similar problem last year, and we first thought the HDD
was bad, until we removed it and tested it in an external eSATA
enclosure: after it passed with 100% perfection, we then
switched SATA cables and the problem went away.

At the other extreme, we've seen SATA connectors that fit
so tightly, they ripped out the entire female connector
when we tried to disconnect an SFF-8087-to-SATA cable.

That happened with this Athena 4-in-1 5.25" enclosure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816119006&cm_re=athena_backplane-_-16-119-006-_-Product

See this Comment:

Cons: After one insertion and removal of a SATA cable into one of the SATA sockets a simple removal of the cable has ripped the socket right off the printed circuit board, leaving the socket with solder covered leads dangling at the end of the SATA cable. ... Taking the device apart I can confirm that the only thing holding these sockets in place is solder to the traces on the circuit board.

[end quote]

MRFS

logininfo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
It has never been removed from the case, and the case has never had an impact that would damage it, I am going to try a new hard drive and see how it does. Thanks for all the help will respond when I try a new drive