Sign in with
Your question

Agp still alive?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2009 7:35:21 AM

What is the point of buying a A4670 in agp format in this day and age? WOuldnt it be by fedault crippled and slower than the pcie version so wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy a new motherboard? Plus even stock computers all come with pcie motherboards now dont they? so who would buy one? Apperently ATI's partners are going to release 4650 and 4670's in AGP flavor.

More about : agp alive

a c 144 U Graphics card
a c 157 V Motherboard
January 14, 2009 6:36:10 PM

Hypothetically speaking...

The graphics card on my otherwise functional system just died. Do you really expect me to buy/build an entirely new system? Why, when I can just get a new AGP graphics card? I won't have to re-install all the programs I use. I won't have to worry about tranferring data. I don't need a new system, just a new graphics card.

Personally speaking...

There's no reason (yet) not to keep manufacturing AGP graphic cards. An AGP HD4670 would do well in my current gaming system (paired with a s939 X2-4800+). Not as well as my 8800GTS-640, I would think, but certainly well enough to play most games at lower graphic settings (Note: I have a hybrid board with both AGP and PCI-Ex16). And while these systems are getting long in the tooth, to some of us, they are perfectly viable. If all I had was an AGP slot, I'd want manufacturers to keep making them; hopefully pushing that full system upgrade a little further down the road (when I can better afford it).

-Wolf sends
January 14, 2009 6:43:30 PM

so why even go pcie at all if people still use agp and it works just as well? why did they evens crap it?
Related resources
January 14, 2009 6:44:14 PM

and if it doesnt work as well and sucks for any new games even with a new card why buy a new card at all if all your planning on doing is playing old games (systems that still use agp are generally old anyway so the processing power must be low).
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2009 7:29:47 PM

There are a lot of perfectly servicable AGP systems out there that are very capable of using the full power of the 4650 and 4670.
Not to mention the boards like wolfs that give a good option to people who cant afford the full upgrade.
Why shouldnt they have access to some decent hardware ? The 4670 is equal to the 3850 but wont need any extra power connectors and as such is made for going in older shop bought systems with restrictive power supplies.
remember while most of the regulars on here would think nothing of replacing a power supply there are people out there who dont even want to install the GPU themselves, thats the main market they are aiming at IMO.

Mactronix
January 14, 2009 8:15:21 PM

those people probably wouldnt have power supplies above 300 watts anyway.
January 14, 2009 8:19:12 PM

The recent PII launch by AMD has taught us at least one thing:

AMD panders to people with ancient machines so they can make a quick buck.
January 14, 2009 8:23:13 PM

other than CPU bottlenecks,the 4670 should perfom just like it's counter part PCI-exp. Give or take a couple of frames, if they are both tested on rigs of the same power, from what I remember on Tom's OLD (back they were actually worth something) VGA charts:) 

I saw the X800 XL vs X800 XL pci express with only 4 fps or so difference.

Seeing the 4670 has been seen to do almost as good as the 9600 GT we can probably compare it to a 8800 GTS G80 320.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review...

The comparison against the 8800 GTS is Opinion not fact, the rest is fact:) .

A+ Wolfshadw your absolutely right.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2009 8:25:25 PM

Pershing121 said:
those people probably wouldnt have power supplies above 300 watts anyway.

Um what part of my post regarding the suitability of the cards for just such a machine didnt you understand

"Why shouldnt they have access to some decent hardware ? The 4670 is equal to the 3850 but wont need any extra power connectors and as such is made for going in older shop bought systems with restrictive power supplies".

Mactronix
January 14, 2009 8:48:05 PM

I couldnt even run a 9500 gt on a bestec stock 300 watt.
January 27, 2010 5:27:30 PM

I currently have a P4P800-E and I love it. I have a 3.0GHz CPU and 2GB of DDR400 Corsair Ram. I have the HD3850 video card and am thinking about grabbing the new AGP 4650. I believe I will see a performance boost.
January 27, 2010 5:28:21 PM

add ^ Also a 650W PSU, I should be ok.
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 5:35:53 PM

SwiftCoyote said:
I currently have a P4P800-E and I love it. I have a 3.0GHz CPU and 2GB of DDR400 Corsair Ram. I have the HD3850 video card and am thinking about grabbing the new AGP 4650. I believe I will see a performance boost.

Don't make that upgrade. The hierarchy chart shows the card you currently have is supperior to the 4650.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,24...

Your 3850 is the high end of it's series, where the 4650 is more of a budget card.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 5:38:35 PM

squatchman said:
The recent PII launch by AMD has taught us at least one thing:

AMD panders to people with ancient machines so they can make a quick buck.

Are any AM2 systems really "ancient"? I can't see any way allowing people with older systems to use the latest processors can be spun as anything but a positive thing for everyone involved.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 6:19:18 PM

One other thing to add to this: Even if it was cheaper to get a new motherboard and a PCIe (or at least the same price), a lot of people just don't want to do it. Replacing the motherboard is a pain in the ass, and reformatting your hard drive and installing everything again is no picnic either. Especially if you've got a 5-year-old machine with all kinds of things installed that you either don't know where the discs are anymore, or aren't available for download anymore.

Plus, if you have a socket 478 machine -- which is really a large percentage of the audience for the AGP cards -- replacing the motherboard is not going to open too many more options for you anyway. I looked at doing that for my backup P4 machine, which would've let me get it to PCIe x16 and DDR2 ... but the conclusion I came to was screw it, it's not worth the trouble.
January 28, 2010 12:46:23 AM

So what your saying is my 512MB AGP HD3850 is better then the 1GB AGP HD4650?
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2010 4:57:23 AM

Yeah, definitely. The only AGP card better than the HD3850 is the HD4670 and the difference is slim. Not worth the upgrade cost at all imo.
!