Overclocking i3 530on stock cooling?

ohsonoob

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Just recently got an i3 530 and a Gigabyte H55M-S2H mobo. Just wondering how reasonable is overclocking on the stock heatsink and fan is, and if it's better to invest in some 30 dollar aftermarket air cooler than going with the stock.

Also if I go with stock than the aftermarket coolers, what's a reasonable speed that I can get with stock cooling versus aftermarket cooling?

ninelivesproductions

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not 100% sure but I think that the i3 and the i7 use the same stock heatsink. Obviously its overclockable to a certain point if it uses the same cooling.

If it has a copper core, Then I'm certain its the same one. If you want your CPU to last longer its better to invest in some after market HSF from Cooler Master, such as the hyper TX3, or the Hyper 212.

What you should really do is try overclocking just a bit, and monitor your temps while trying to run prime 95. I know that the i7 can get into the low 70's in degrees celcius, so make sure you dont go past the high 60s on load.

Its better to play it safe and get an aftermarket HSF.

In this article, it says that you can overclock to 4Ghz with the stock HSF.
4Ghz is really unnecessary... take it slow, make sure your temps are good before further overclocking.
Article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2921/5

ohsonoob

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Yea,

I'm very new to overclocking, and would like to learn more. Thing is I never have enough time to read up about it. I've overclocked my old AMD Athlon 64 3500+ from 2.2ghz to 2.5 with stock heatsink and fan, but I never really knew what I was doing. For the most part the computer was stable with an occasional crash like once every few months, but I believe it was due to video card problems.

Know of a good reliable aftermarket heatsink and fan that wouldn't be too large? Also, know of any good sites that could explain overclocking to a newbie like myself?

The LGA 1156 stock cooler AFAIK be slightly smaller than the LGA 1366 Core i7 cooler, although you can overclock safely I'd say with the stock Intel cooler to around 3.6GHz without having any concerns. I'm afraid I can't really recommend you any small coolers, my knowledge is relatively limited in that area.