Windows XP failure

I've just discovered a problem with my main system.

It starts to load windows XP, gets past the scrolling bar and then reboots, safe mode and last known good config does the same.

I've previously (>1 year ago) had trouble where it would hang on the blue windows loading screen, and restored it to a previous registry config using UBCD4WIn, it sounds similar but previously it didn't force a reboot.

Firstly, would this resolve the issue (i'll probably reinstall afterwards), if its not likely any other ideas
Secondly, how do i do a restore to a previous registry as I can't recall at the moment.

Thanks for the help

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
By the sound of it you have another pc aside from your main system. If that's the case, I'd strongly reccomend that you just throw the hard drive from your main system in your 'secondary' system and backup what data you need and then reformat your main system.

its a laptop (a works laptop), so its not so easy, i can probably get into it using ubcd4win, so as a last resort I'll get a new hdd, and manipulate all the data I want onto some safe areas using that and then rebuild.

This was working fine last night, and then a windows update came down, not sure its related.

any other thoughts.