Looking for a good storage solution re: laptop and itunes

pcu

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
So I have a large music collection (>100gbs) as well as a large movie collection (200gbs and growing). I am looking at upgrading to a new setup.

Option 1) Increase internal HDD size to 320gb HDD. I will keep itunes on this and store the movies on an external HDD. Pretty straight forward.

Option 2) I'm not real familiar with them but the idea of a NAS intrigues me. I have some hesitations though cause I've read of problems getting the NAS and itunes to play nice together. If I understand it right I can plug other external HDD's into the NAS as well which would be more cost effective cause then i would need to upgrade to a new external HDD for the movies. Also wouldn't be tethered to the external when watching movies.

Don't know if there are more options but I'm looking for opinions.

I'd go with a large external drive, i.e. a TB or 2. It may be cumbersome to a degree, with with your expanding music collection and such, you'll have more room to expand. Plus, it would be cheaper in the long run. I wouldn't waste time putting a bigger internal drive in, as you'll fill it up pretty quick and it will slow the system down as you get more data on it.