Is this too high a temp for an overclocked 5850 would you say?

frenchy0312

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Ive managed to get 900/1200 out of my xfx black edition 5850 with msi afterburner on stock voltage. Im currently running furmark in xtreme burning mode and the temp seems to have topped out at 85c. would you say thats a bit high or safe for everyday usage?

For Furmark xtreme burning, those temps are fine, Furmark adds atleast 5 degrees to the maximum temp you could ever reach playing a game. I would start to be concerned if the core or memory hit 90C or if the VRM's passed 105C in Furmark.

That's an ok temp. Make sure you run about 15mins to make sure it's stable. I know all cards are different, but mine's running much cooler with stock voltage with 875/1200 OC. Even at my max OC of 985/1200 with 1.225V it only gets up to 80C. However, I also modified the fan speed with Afterburner so that at around 65C it jumps up and climbs to 70% speed at 79C. With the default auto fan, it doesn't go over about 40% speed I think. You should try manual fan speed settings. Set it as high as you're comfortable with, I found 100% it gets way too loud, but at 70% it's acceptable. And while gaming, temps don't generally go over about 65C so the fan stays reasonably quiet.

frenchy0312

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Yeh i didnt realise you could set your own incremental fan speeds gonna give that a try! Also is there anyway to get the card to return to its idle clocks of 157/300 when its overclocked? It seems to just stay at 900/1200 even when its idling? As opposed to default where it drops down

Well, it's supposed to work with the 2D/3D profile settings, but it doesn't. It might only be in 64 bit OS's that it doesn't work, but I have it set at 700/1000 all the time so it idles at the low 157/300 and then if loading up a game I manually set the OC profile I need. It's really not much of a hassle, but it is dissapointing that a feature in the program is useless - especially when it could be so good.

I modded my cards BIOS using RBE so that my 5850's 3d clocks are 1000/1200 and in 2D mode it always goes back to 157/300, this way I don't have to mess around with profiles, I let the BIOS do all the work.

Don't suppose you can point me to a good info source on that? Also, for the 1000 core what's your voltage? I'm guessing the BIOS flash was able to handle changing voltage on the fly?

frenchy0312

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Turns out 900/1200 wasn't stable for me after all at stock voltage. Crysis and left 4 dead 2 have both crashed on me. On a plus note I removed my empty slot guards n got the max temp I've seen in furmark down to 82c at those clocks. Thinking I might try to up the voltage n see if I can get close to 1000/1200. Ill also look into RBE if it puts my idle clocks back down again when the cards overclocked

I'm at work atm but when i get home i'll give you alittle guide on how to do it. Its actually really easy and doesn't take to long. :p

Ah I thought that might happen. I fooled around with it at 885/1200 on stock and it was ok for some gaming but then STALKER: CoP crashed. I have it set to 875/1200 now and it's very stable. The good news is if you're using anti aliasing, that small difference in core speed will make a negligible difference on performance. You can read about it here

That would be great. I've read a little about it but not really any good sources for which BIOS to use or how to get it set for different profile settings (2D/3D). Everything I've seen at least has just said, basically "flash the BIOS to allow overclocking" so it would be good to see how you did it.

Right Home now! (YAY) Its the weeekend!! :D

**Cough** down to business.

First off you will need a copy of your orginal BIOS so (if you don't have it already) you need to download the latest version of GPU-Z which can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

Fire up GPU-Z and in the graphics card tab, under the ATi logo there will be a small green and black button, click that button and select 'save file to' and save to your desktop.

Next you will need RBE ( Radeon BIOS Editor), which can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/RBE/
Open up RBE and click on 'Load BIOS...' and then select the BIOS you saved to your desktop earlier.

Fantastic! so now you have a copy of your cards BIOS ready to edit.

Right in RBE go arcoss to the 'Clock settings' tab and change the the values in 'Clock info 00' to what ever you want (**and know is stable**) so for me I changed mine to 1000Core and 1200Mem.

Once you've done that click on 'GPU resisters...' and change the '0x17' value from 1.0875 to whatever your core needs for it to be stable, so for me I need to change it to 1.225V.

Then go to the 'Additional features' tab and we want 'method 2 - no hash', Changing the sliders here will change the sliders in CCC, so I set mine to 1100Core and 1300Mem. So if I ever wanted more beans I'd simply go into CCC and up the Mhz. You can also mess around with fan profiles here, but I'm using watercooling so there was no need for me.
Next, save your edited BIOS to your desktop, make sure its either a .bin or .rom file.

Disable CCC overdrive and flash your card to your new BIOS, Make sure you put a copy of your original BIOS on your flash device just incase things so tits up.

Hope that made some sense!! :p

Thanks so much! I'll definitely be doing this later. I like that you can make it adjust the CCC sliders. However, does that voltage amount change permanently? Or does it drop it down when in 2D?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm looking at a tutorial that has all the answers. Thanks again tho, this looks great! :)

ATI Powerplay technology still works and will reduce the core, mem and voltage when in 2D ;)

See....
cccxb.png

frenchy0312

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Did exactly as you described and now have my card sitting at 157/300 at idle and 850/1200 when gaming at stock voltage :D was gonna try going higher but to be honest i dont really wanna up the voltages/fan noise/temps any further