How high can this CPU's voltage Safely go?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
As americanbrian said, it depends on your temps. A quick google search on 'Athlon 64 2800 overclock' should get you stories from others who have tried. There is also a sticky in the Overclocking forum about OCing Athlon 64s, they will probably have some info regarding voltages in there.

Mondoman

Splendid
Even at low temps, high voltages can still do damage. The AMD web site should have a downloadable datasheet or similar document that lists a max operating voltage (above which the CPU may not operate properly) and an absolute maximum voltage (above which permanent damage can result).

If you're using air cooling then you will definitely start getting too hot running prime 95 before you hit that voltage wall. I know that 1.5v is considered high for some of the single core Chips, but that was the default voltage on the first series of Athlon 64s. Probably 1.6 is as high as you should go, since I'm sure 1.7 would fry it, but yeah you will have to scour the AMD website to find out.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Temperature is not a problem. My CPU's max speed at 1.55V w/o resetting itself is 2055 MHz. At 1.5V, I'm not sure, haven't tried. It might be higher, as my PC seems slightly unstable at 1.55. But @ 2008 MHz/ 1.55V it gets to 53C after hours of 100% load, and idles around 45. At 1.55V, it idles around 39/40, and gets to 44 under load.

I'm gonna see how high I can get under 1.5V right now.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Oh, before I forget, all my Overclocking, sadly, is done from within the OS, as my mobo has absolutely nothing to change. This may be what's limiting me.

Also, EasyTune5 will let me go up to 1.7V, but RMClock only lets me go to 1.55.

EDIT: OK, after running the test and waiting 20 minutes to reboot, I have determined that at 1.5V, I can get up to 2034 MHz while running Prime95. My 2050MHz I achieved at 1.55V was not while running Prime95 though, so my comparison may be way off.

Also, apparently I am unable to OC my FSB without also raising the Memory, PCI and AGP Frequencies. They have been OC'd from 400 to 446 (MHz), 33 to 37, and 66 to 74. This may also be a big problem.

And you know, in all truth, with stock cooling, OCing from the OS, and raising the AGP/PCI, I'm actually kinda suprised I got to 2 GHz with my dumb ass old Clawhammer.