Closed Solved

Office 2003 won't install on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I bought an OEM install CD for Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, bar code ******. When I try to install it on my Toshiba Satellite P505D laptop (AMD 64-bit CPU, WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) no install window comes up and Windows Explorer can't seem to open the CD; the CD drive keeps running and stopping and seeking. When I select the CD drive in Windows Explorer I get a very slow green progress bar across the top; never finishes (it's been at it 30 minutes this time); no install window ever comes up. Rebooting doesn't help.

The same CD installs just fine on a Dell 32-bit desktop running Windows XP Pro 32-bit.

Thought it might be the drive not liking the specific media, made a copy of the CD; does the same weird behavior on my laptop.

Any ideas about what might be going on? I'm reluctant to buy another copy of MS Office until I know it'll install. Could it be an incompatible CD format? I've never had a problem reading any other CD. Some sort of MS copy protection?

The drive shows as a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ880ES ATA Device. Microsoft driver version 6.1.7600.16385. All the latest updates are in for Windows etc.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about office 2003 install windows home premium
  1. Best answer
    It sounds like Win7 doesn't like your DVD-RAM, or the CD media. I would try:

Run>browse>DVD-RAM>setup.exe

If that doesn't work, I'd copy the Office disk to a USB stick, and try using that.

(corrected misspelled words......had probably 20 keyboards in my life, and not one could spell properly!)
  2. This topic has been closed by Aford10
  3. Best answer selected by aford10.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Windows 7 CD-Rom Office Storage