Need Help With BlueScreen Error 0X00000101

lilleenga

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I'm Having Problems with my new rig, BlueScreen Errors appear randomly.
I think the Power supply is the problem, but I haven't got any confirmation that the RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 is supported with the Vista Ultimate 64. Windows Problem Reports and Solutions says that the graphic card caused the issues... BUT BUT BUT

Yesterday I got tired of the system Crash So i changed it with my old one, a Nvidia Gforce 8600 gt 256 mb and 2 hours later it crashed Again!!!!!

Here is some information:
*Vista ultimate 64
*Intel Quad Core Q9550 2,83 GHz
*Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512Mb
*Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5
* Hiper HPU-4M530 530 Watt

Please Help Me, or my rig will be homeless :fou:

sailer

Splendid

Yes, it can be that simple. Default settings (auto) are at 1.8v. I run my OCZ ram at 2.1v and it works fine. The Corsair ram should be able to run at 2.1v as well. Generally speaking, the ram doesn't care what OS is being used, but it can be a problem with specific motherboards. You could check with Corsair as to whether or not your ram is certified your motherboard. Even if not, it still might work. Another way to check ram is to try one stick at a time and see if it fails on a particular stick. I had a case years ago with some Corsair ram that was not certified with a particular motherboard and it caused nothing but trouble until I got different ram that was certified for that motherboard.

You didn't say whether or not you are overclocking, but you might also try a slight increase in the voltage to the CPU. A CPU that gets starved for voltage will also crash the computer.

am71

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
BSODs yuk,

If your computer usually boots normally and runs for a while, the BSODs are probably not truly random.

Make sure your OS and your drivers are up to date. Reinstall your video drivers. Google on how to properly remove and cleanly install vga drivers...(and look for ATI hotfixes). Next, set your bios settings to auto and default accept for any specific 64 bit settings. Some boards have them and they are defaulted at 32bit. Next run prime 95 and the ATI Tool video card stability test at the same time. If the problem is with the PSU than your system will crash quickly under the strain. If your system doesn't crash within 5 minutes of testing but crashes later (especially when gaming), your problem is most likely with a driver or heat build up.

Anyway, the point is, start testing components until you can crash the system and that will give you clues that will help you narrow down the problem.

My 2 cents says it's the power supply but the above steps should reveal if I'm correct. If it is the PSU don't skimp on the replacement. EDUCATE YOURSELF on how to choose a good power supply and you will save yourself money and grief.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

sailer

Splendid

First, Hiper makes a fair PSU, though they can go bad, just like anything else. At 530wts, it should have enough power, since you're not overclocking and you don't have a lot of heavy draws on the power. You can also check out PSU quality ratings here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php While the Hiper 530wt is not specifically tested, other Hyper models are.

As to the ram voltage, 1.9v is the factory spec, but occasionally ram will draw more. DDR2 ram can use up to 2.1v without damage. In fact, that's what much of the DDR2-1066 factory ram is, just overclocked DDR2-800 ram that has the voltage raised. A minor raise, about .1v, won't hurt the ram. Same with the CPU, bumping up the voltage can help it run stable, but in this case, you might raise it up to as much as 1.35 volts without any danger. Yes, theoretically it will burn the CPU out a bit faster, but in perspective, that's like dropping its lifespan from 10 years to 8 years. You most likely will not be using the CPU, or almost anything else in the computer, 10 years from now.

Likely as not, you have a bad ram stick, which is why the ram sticks need to be tested. As others have noted, you should make sure the old drivers are completely cleaned off the OS and the latest drivers installed for you video card, etc. There is an off chance that there is a motherboard problem. A great amount of diagnosing problems is trial and error. Test the ram, try different video cards, etc. It takes time and is tedious, but that's the only way to do it, unless you take it into a shop and pay them to do it.

A last thought is that you might check the temps. Download Speedfan or Core temp and check the temp of the CPU in particular. I try to keep the CPU temp in the 50s or cooler. Under full load, my QX9650 runs at 55c using Core temp. If your CPU is running hot, you may need to upgrade the cooling, either by getting a better heatsink or adding a fan(s) to the case.

lilleenga

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
My Core Temps are Overall 45C when I'm gaming, the MB's temp is 25-30C and the graphic card 35-45C at 50% speed. I Have the Antec Nine Hundred Gaming case, so I don't suspect the temps for being the problem.

After I sat the default settings from Auto to 1,9 V It haven't appeared any new crashes...(In 4 hours)
The manufacturer (Corsair) recommends 1,9 V for my type of RAM, but turning it up to 2,1 does no harm?

If you're running without crashes at 1.9v, just leave it there. I don't know where these suggestions of 2.1v and upping the CPU voltage came from. There's no need to raise voltages beyond what's needed for stability.

Now that you've manually set the voltage to the recommended spec, I'd run memtest86+ overnight and see if it returns any errors. If it shows any errors at the rated speed, timings, and voltage I'd RMA the RAM. RAM that's functioning correctly shouldn't even get one error in memtest.

sailer

Splendid

Glad that raising the ram voltage to 1.9v seems to be working. As for my other suggestions to raising the ram voltage to 2.1v or raising the CPU voltage, those were meant only if nothing else seemed to work, and were meant as upper limits, not as standard for running. They were not meant to be done if unneeded.

Your temps are very good, and your Antec 900 case is a good one. I know, because that's what I use to house my overclocked QX9650, which does have the ram at 2.1v and the CPU at 1.35v.

lilleenga

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
My PC haven't crash one time since I changed my RAM Voltage, but with my luck I can expect everything. It' been 24 hours, and nothing has happened, but can I really still Except the worse?!? I thought 0,1 voltage didn't change anything... Can it be solved?

sailer

Splendid

Yes it can. With computers, sometimes what looks like the most insignificant thing can make all the difference in the world.

Of course, that applies to some women I've met in the past as well. :kaola:

lilleenga

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I'm wondering.... I used the RAM on my previous PC too, why didn't it crash there? And a Biip sound disappeared after the change of the Voltage. I thought that it was a kind of a Alarm for overheating... Could it be a warning for wrong Voltage on my RAM?!?!

sailer

Splendid

A number of possibilities. It could be that your previous PC didn't strain the ram as much, or that its BIOS fed the ram the correct voltage. Or it could be the your new motherboard is more sensitive to incorrect voltage in the ram. Such is life and its probably not a good idea to question the answers too highly.

As to the beeping sound, it most likely did refer to the ram voltage. There are a number of different beep codes that computers often give, each tied in with specific parts. Often these beep codes are contained in the handbook that comes with the motherboard, or can be found at the company's website.

lilleenga

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
25.12.2008 17:58

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1044

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini122508-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 101
BCP1: 0000000000000031
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFFA60019D2180
BCP4: 0000000000000003
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Server information: 22b4b373-caac-402b-837c-93a73b957d4b

I had a feeling that this wasn't over... :sweat:

lilleenga

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Usually 4Gb(2Gbx2) but I've tried to remove one already. My Motherboard is Asus P5Q Pro.

When I ran the MemTest86+ it said "Single Chanel" and the Cache was "on". It was no errors while I was running it. Is there any special Slots on the motherboard that is recommended different types of RAM?

am71

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Sorry to take so long to get back.

If memtest says your ram is ok (you did what shortsuff_m said to do) then I'm going back to the first thing the windows error report said....video driver issues. The best guide I know of for video driver installation is in the TweakGuides companion. It's a PDF you can download for free.

As far as which slots to install the ram in, look in your motherboard manual. It will show you which slots to populate.

Good luck and Happy New Year.