HIS HD4870 iceq4+ Turbo Worth it?

alentner

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
My Question is, The HIS HD4870 iceq4+ Turbo 512 MB is $239 right now, other than the awsome looking cooler, is its performance that much better than the Powercooler HD4870 512 MB for $194.

I don't mind paying 40 more dollars if the performance is there but otherwise i might just as well not.

I game at 1680 res so i don't think i need the 1GB model.

My Specs:
E8400
ASROCK P45XE
4 GB DDR2 800
Corsair 650TX

Thanks in advance :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161264

The PowerColor clocked at 800 core 950 memory
The HIS is clocked at 780 core 1000 memory

I think Stock the PowerColor with the faster GPU clock would prevail over the lower clocked HIS card, even though the memory is clocked higher on the HIS card.

If you are planning to OC this card anyways, those numbers won't matter. With HIS you are basically paying for a nice cooler. I JUST bought an ASUS 4870 1GB card and debated between this and the HIS myself. The difference was $40 and I decided to go with the ASUS. The only difference is with the open cooler the heat is not blown out of the case so it will need to be exhausted with your normal case airflow.

You are basically paying $40 for a better cooler. Not saying it is BETTER, but it exhausts the hot air better. And TRUST me, these cards get HOTTTTTT!. However the GPU actually stays cool but the heatsinks get hot. I actually touched my card while testing in Crysis and touched one of the screw that hold the cooler and it almost burned me. I could keep my finger on it.

If you`ve good airflow the Powercolor would be OK if , like me you have a basic case with just one in/one out fans then the HIS would be better.

That said, I have no temperature problems with my reference Sapphire card even @790/1000 with the fan at a reasonable 35% (unless I`m running Furmark).

I have an intake and blowout fan not running that high. As long as the air is circulating you are good. To me the $40 isn't worth it since most cards have at least a few year warranty. Who keeps their card more than 2-3 years anyways? haha