Little help with my memory config?

sonkut_53

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Hey Guys,

It's been bout 4-5 years since i last upgraded, last time i build my machine it was when DDR was the best stuff around and the stuff sorted it's own life out, now apparently i have to do it myself :O I'm finding it a little hard to track down the details and i'm fed up of waiting for the admin for the shops webpage to activate my forum account which is a bit of a joke.

Anyhow, here's the specs.

AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 720
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600C9DHX Twin3X (9-9-9-24 timings)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5

The rest souldn't matter.
When i made the order i was told the 1333 xms2 memory was out of stock so i said whats the next best options and went for the more expencive after being told it would be fine with my system. I realise now the PheII only supports up to 1333 :pfff: , could this be causing me to crash like mad? the system was fine for about a month but now just crashes games, i was told to look at my memory settings by friends and it was all set at 1066.

I can post pictures of my bios pages if it helps, but let me know what you advise for the best settings plx :D

Edit: ok can't do much atm so i thought i would link the bios pics.
0032.jpg

0031.jpg

these were taken a few days ago when i had found even less info and just had a stab in the dark

First of all I would just set everything to auto just to get the darn thing to boot. Then, you should download CPU-Z and check the memory tab to see what frequency and timings it's using. While it can run at 1333 it will probably go down to 1066 on auto so the requency will be 533. Next check the speed tab to see what the timings should be under 666 (DDR 1333) and write those down. Then go into the BIOS and set that speed and timings. You may have to raise the voltage a little over the default.

If you want ot reach DDR 3 1600 you're going to have to overclock your system by raising the FSB. Should be fine running at 1333 though and it's nice to know that you have that headroom for overclocking if you feel you need more performance latter on.

sonkut_53

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Hey Megaman,

Thanks much for your post, i'm just going to give i another test. The issue isn't that it wont boot but rather has memory issues when i put it under strain. The memory has been tested, all drivers installed with different versions and the system re-built. The same problem sticks on reporting a wiered memory issue.

I've tried to follow what you've said but if you look at the bios pictures there doesn't seem to be a memory freq set, only theis x4 x5 x6.6 business which seems to set the speed of the ddr. There also seems no direct choice of DDR3 voltage appart from the system voltage controle which only gives the option of +0.05 and increments up to something like 0.50 butnot sure what the original voltage is as it doesn't specify.

Also the CPU freq has a variable between 200 and 500, knowing what it should be is great sut another detail i may be overlooking, i'm goning to give the memory issue a bash with these setting now, it's 1.10 am here so it will be followed by bed.

Cheers for the help so far :)