Closed

Help: Power Supply for Dell Studio Slim Desktop and GeForce 9600 GT

Hey,

I got a Dell Studio Desktop Slim 540s and then bought a low-profile graphics card, Galaxy GeForce 9600GT http://www.galaxytech.com/Product_Details.asp?id=192&class1=1&class2= to supplement it.

However, the power supply that comes with Dell's slim tower is only 250W and I need at least 400W to run the computer and the graphics card. Anyone knows a good power supply that would fit Dell's awkward slim tower chasis and run the graphics card as well?

Thanks!
39 answers Last reply
More about help power supply dell studio slim desktop geforce 9600
  1. They are custom PSU's. A Family friend has one go out on an older Dell Slim. We ended up installing a standard PSU and running the wires through the back of the case. Now it has an external power supply, haha.
  2. It's known as a TFX power supply , I haven't seen any 400 watt units.
    Seasonic make's a 300 watt version that will fit the 540s and, with 21 amps on the 12v, will power a 9600 GT. You would still need to use a power adapter.
    http://www.seasonicusa.com/tfx.htm
  3. ^ i'd go with what Delluser1 says, yes it's less then what is listed, but should work and Seasonic make very good quality PSUs.
  4. Check Tigerdirect.ca they have a 460w power supply.
  5. Quote:
    Check Tigerdirect.ca they have a 460w power supply.

    Would that be a "slim line " power supply ? That's what the OP needs for his machine.
  6. hmmm...i seem to remember reading quite a few complaints about TigerDirect...many people say to stay away from them...FAR away...lol
  7. If you have a Korean or Japanese friend, the have TFX 450W PSU.

    In Korea: GT-450LP
    In Japan: TFX450AV

    UK sells a 400W by EZCool
    Australia sells a 350W

    In North America, the best I can found is 300W.
  8. delluser1 said:
    It's known as a TFX power supply , I haven't seen any 400 watt units.
    Seasonic make's a 300 watt version that will fit the 540s and, with 21 amps on the 12v, will power a 9600 GT. You would still need to use a power adapter.
    http://www.seasonicusa.com/tfx.htm



    Would this fit in a Dell Vostro 200 Slim? The case looks to be the same as the studio slim.
    Thanks in advance!
  9. viperbyte said:
    Would this fit in a Dell Vostro 200 Slim? The case looks to be the same as the studio slim.
    Thanks in advance!



    Vostro Slim uses TFX PSU form factor. It should work.
  10. delluser1 said:
    It's known as a TFX power supply , I haven't seen any 400 watt units.
    Seasonic make's a 300 watt version that will fit the 540s and, with 21 amps on the 12v, will power a 9600 GT. You would still need to use a power adapter.
    http://www.seasonicusa.com/tfx.htm


    It makes sense.
    Anyone else confirm easonic 300W will handle 9600 GT?
    And what do you mean by power adapter?
    Thank you.
  11. I have upgraded my Dell Vostro 200 slim with the following:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151070 (slim power supply)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187060 (slim 9600 gt video card)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106 (adaptor needed)

    I can confirm that these do work just fine, but the video card was getting too hot for my comfort, so I cut a hole in the side of my case near the video card and installed (rigged) the following:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835168002 (fan)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201009 (adaptor needed)

    I installed it so that the fan was blowing air out of the case. I also drilled some vent holes in the case so that the fan would also bring in more fresh air. I placed the vent holes so that the fresh air would flow around the video card to get to the exhaust fan that I added as mentioned. This worked like a charm. I can provide pictures of the rigged fan installation if anyone wants.

    Peace and Good Luck!

    P.S. I did this to play Left 4 Dead, and it plays great.
  12. Thanks alot viperbyte,

    If you already have pictures I would appreciate to share them with us. So I know exactly what I should do. I really would like to get over this slim problem. Thanks again.
  13. donesame said:
    Thanks alot viperbyte,

    If you already have pictures I would appreciate to share them with us. So I know exactly what I should do. I really would like to get over this slim problem. Thanks again.



    I'll snap some tonight (I'll try to remember). By the way I didn't use the driver on the cd that came with the card. I went to the Sparkle website and downloaded the driver there. If you get the same card as I did (the one I linked to on newegg.com) the lastest drivers are here:

    http://www.sparkle.com.tw/driver_detail.asp?id=77&m_id=6

    It looks like I need to update mine to the latest version.
  14. Thank you. I'm wondering what is the different between
    Galaxy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162016
    Sparkle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187060

    I checked and it looks like they both are the same. but one is more expensive? why is that?
  15. That is just the way it is. That is why one should always shop around. In my opinion the cheaper sparkle card is better because it has an HDMI port where the other one has a s-video port. Other than that, the specs look the same. Those pics are coming soon.

    P.S. I guess the reputation of the brand can make a difference, but I don't know much about either brands' reputation.
  16. Here is the side shot:



    Here is a close up (looks like one of my vent screens has popped out):



    Here you can see the vent holes that I drilled in the covers for the three empty card slots:



    Here are a couple of shots with the side cover off:





    Here is a shot og the video card (for the heck of it):



    Last picture is a shot of the dust screens from the inside (Avoid drilling those two vent holes too low like I did. I got lucky that it still closed properly):



    Once you cut the square hole in the black side cover, you can trace the hole pattern onto the silver metal cross piece which is what you actually mount the fan to. Then cut the hole in that cross piece (not square see below). I used a dremel. Instead of a square hole like on the black side cover, I chamfered the corners so that you can drill holes in each corner for the screws that attach the fan to the cross piece.
    Hopefully that makes sense. If you have any question, just ask.

    P.S. When you cut the square hole in the side case, make sure the four sides of the hole are truley parallel to the four outside edges of the computer.
  17. Those 4 vent holes in the side of the case are 1/2" in diameter.

    Remember the fan should be blowing air out of the case.
  18. Also, I would use the same exact fan that I linked to (or one with the same dimensions including thickness), because the hole dimensions I gave are based on that. More importantly, however, is the profile of the fan I linked to. It is a very thin fan, and there is not much room in the computer for it.

    The two vent holes at the back of the left side have to be drilled thru both the black side cover and the silver metal cross piece. First do the side side cover, then mark the holes on the cross piece like you did with the square hole. Then take the cross piece out and drill it. No drilling or cutting should be done anywhere near the actual computer itself. If you get a bunch of metal scrap inside the computer, then there is no telling what it might short out when you cut on the power.
  19. Wow Nice. Thanks alot. I've ordered all of the parts. Hopefully I'll receive them by Saturday. I have the whole weekend to work on it. lol
    Thanks again. You did a great job.
  20. No problem. One more thing, I'd install the video card (and power supply) before the fan, just to make sure it all fits in there properly together. Just leave the side cover off while installing the vid card, so it doesn't overheat, which shouldn't be a problem once the fan is in there.
  21. Make that two more things: Those dimensions are to the edges of the computer, and NOT to the edges of the side cover.
  22. Alrighty. Thank you.
  23. I was looking at that list of power supplies provided by lamprey, and found a website from Korea that would allow you to purchase the GT-450LP:

    http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=164557340

    They do ship to the US (though at a steep price). I was wondering if this would be compatible with the Dell Studio Slim. Also, would I have to get different adapters since this is coming from Korea?
  24. viperbyte said:
    I have upgraded my Dell Vostro 200 slim with the following:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151070 (slim power supply)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187060 (slim 9600 gt video card)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106 (adaptor needed)

    I can confirm that these do work just fine, but the video card was getting too hot for my comfort, so I cut a hole in the side of my case near the video card and installed (rigged) the following:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835168002 (fan)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201009 (adaptor needed)

    I installed it so that the fan was blowing air out of the case. I also drilled some vent holes in the case so that the fan would also bring in more fresh air. I placed the vent holes so that the fresh air would flow around the video card to get to the exhaust fan that I added as mentioned. This worked like a charm. I can provide pictures of the rigged fan installation if anyone wants.

    Peace and Good Luck!

    P.S. I did this to play Left 4 Dead, and it plays great.



    I was wondering why you bought a new power supply, the provided power supply that dell gave says it's 250w, but it actaully is a 300. I'm wondering if i could keep the power supply the same and just add the video card? Do you think it'll be ok if I were to do this and if I didn't add the extra holes/fan?
  25. asumarto said:
    I was looking at that list of power supplies provided by lamprey, and found a website from Korea that would allow you to purchase the GT-450LP:

    http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=164557340

    They do ship to the US (though at a steep price). I was wondering if this would be compatible with the Dell Studio Slim. Also, would I have to get different adapters since this is coming from Korea?



    I have no idea. Like I said, the 300 watt Seasonic works fine with the 9600 GT, but I guess you have a need for even more power. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
  26. instant90 said:
    I was wondering why you bought a new power supply, the provided power supply that dell gave says it's 250w, but it actaully is a 300. I'm wondering if i could keep the power supply the same and just add the video card? Do you think it'll be ok if I were to do this and if I didn't add the extra holes/fan?


    I bought a new power supply because the one that came with my Vostro has a label on it that says that it is 250 watts, and 250 watts isn't enough (in my opinion) for what I wanted to do. I did not test the power supply to see how much power it was actually producing. I do not know if you can harm the video card by trying the power supply you have, but I suspect that it would be harmless to try.

    The video card was getting way too hot in my vostro without the modifications. The card has a fan, but with the configuration of the insides of the computer, there was no where for the hot air to go. The card is pretty much "boxed in" when installed. In short, no I don't think it would be ok. I think your card would overheat and die. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  27. instant90 said:
    I was wondering why you bought a new power supply, the provided power supply that dell gave says it's 250w, but it actaully is a 300. I'm wondering if i could keep the power supply the same and just add the video card? Do you think it'll be ok if I were to do this and if I didn't add the extra holes/fan?


    Why do you say that the power supply is actually 300w? I have got a Dell Vostro 220s and an ATI 4650, but I always got problem with the insert of such video card. After I installed the 4650, the hard disk does not work properly. Sometimes it was as slow as a snail, and sometimes it reboots suddenly. I doubt it was the 250w TFX power supply causes this.
  28. well the sticker says it's 250, some of the other fourms I've read says that dell underrates their psu's and that it should actaully be 50w higher about.
  29. ^ Not always, I don't think thats the case for EVERY PSU. But it could be :lol:
  30. instant90 said:
    I was wondering why you bought a new power supply, the provided power supply that dell gave says it's 250w, but it actaully is a 300.

    It say's it's 250w because that's it's maximum "continuous output ", the unit can peak higher but peak power is only sustainable for a few seconds per minute.
    The whole " underrated psu " idea came about due to the generally high 12v output of the unit's, for example; the 375w Dell can output upto 30 amps on the 12v ( that's as much or more than many generic 450-500 watt units )
  31. asumarto said:
    I was looking at that list of power supplies provided by lamprey, and found a website from Korea that would allow you to purchase the GT-450LP:

    http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=164557340

    They do ship to the US (though at a steep price). I was wondering if this would be compatible with the Dell Studio Slim. Also, would I have to get different adapters since this is coming from Korea?


    I went to that website and it does appear to be TFX and supply an impressive 450W.
    However...
    1. It says International shipping: Not available.
    2. It appears to only support 220v AC input.
  32. I have a dell 540s and just bought a sapphire 4650....

    Until now no problem with the PSU, but I know that install a second h.d. is not a good idea right now.

    I'm worried about the overheating problems... the guide from vyperbyte gave me some ideas... But I'm thinking to replace completelly the metal bar that hides the vcard (the one showed the picts 4 and 5) cause block the air flow and still don't know what is it's function. Add other fans can be not good with this weenie PSU.

    I don't wanna lose my guarantee with Dell that's why I don't wanna change the case. What others solutions could be implemented in these case, it seem that a lot of us hav the same problem... I'm thinking in a second PSU (in the outside offcourse) or and intenal one (like: Thermaltake A2422 Mini ITX Drive Bay PSU or similar).

    Other option for the one looking for a little upgrade of PSU here
  33. Anybody knows a PCI blower that can be mounted in our case... I can't find any with low-profile brakets, but I saw some (in picts) that maybe could work modifying the bracket
  34. The HD4650 uses much less power then the 9600GT and produces much less heat. Before you make any modifications download and run a hardware monitor to keep track of your temperatures.

    http://www.cpuid.com/
  35. You can modify the 2nd hard-drive power cable to fit your 9600GT.

    The good news is that this has worked GREAT for me thus far, even after some fairly intensive Empire:Total War sessions.

    The bad news is that it will invalidate your warentee.
  36. For my Dell 580s, do you think it is possible to use a Shuttle PC63 500W Power Supply to replace the stock 250w psu

    http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=45954&category_id=646&manufacturer_id=0&tid=pc63
  37. Thanks Viperbyte. Newegg doesn't sell that psu anymore :( but I purchase one at

    http://www.pointtek.ecrater.com/p/8716434/400w-tfx-replacement-dell-power

    It works fine with my Vostro Slim as well but with 400 Watts!! I e-mail the seller and he said he going be importing 450W maybe early this year! Thanks again all!
  38. thats a no name power supply, not sure if you should trust it. as long as it works well though its fine.
  39. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Desktops Dell Geforce Graphics Product