Install applications on second hard drive

pal369

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello, just installed Win 7 on to a 60 GB SSD drive. I don't think I will have enough space for all my applications. Can I install the not so often used programs onto a second drive D:?
Thank you

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
+1 to tecmo

I like to make a folder on the other drive labeled something like "Program Files 2", and then install everything in there. That way it is easy to remember where to look for the programs, and if you also want to store pictures on that drive you don't have to hunt for the picture folder through all of the stuff that installers dump when they run. I guess installers aren't too bad now, but there is still at least one folder for each program you have.

pal369

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Thank you, great advice.
One more Question, I do have all my applications installed on a drive is there a easy way to have windows regularize them or will have to format and re-install?

Thanks again, have a good day.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I'm not quite sure. I think that the problem is that when an application is installed it saves the path to the files it needs, and then if you try moving the files the application can't find them and therefore can't run. However, I don't know and you might be right that windows can take care of re-linking them.

gish88

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
How can I make it so that from now on it will download programs to my second hard drive? I failed to select the custom install option when installing windows.