Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Thunder

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly so my decision is based on accurate information.

SATA 3.0 transfer rate is 6.0 gb/s vs. an SSD's 3.0 gb/s transfer rate. Essentially, SATA 3.0 transfers data twice as fast as an SSD.
If I go with an SSD over a SATA 3.0 drive I'm paying lots extra for the fact that there are no moving parts. If I go with a SATA 3.0 drive I'm getting more storage, paying about 1/4 of the price, and the transfer rate is faster.

sub mesa

Distinguished
SATA is Serial ATA - the cable where all the data goes through. It comes in three flavours:

SATA1 or SATA/150 = 1,5Gbps or 150MB/s
SATA2 or SATA/300 = 3,0Gbps or 300MB/s
SATA3 or SATA/600 = 6,0Gbps or 600MB/s

But even if the cable is capable of 600MB/s, it does not mean you get 600MB/s transfer speeds. Most HDDs are still limited to under 150MB/s to no HDD would have a significant benefit beyond SATA/150.

It's like driving on a highway with a maximum speed limit of 600 km/h but your large truck can only do 100 km/h and only when it doesn't have to take any turns. An SSD can go up to 350 km/h and can take turns very quickly.

The real difference between HDD and SSD is access times and IOps; which are hundreds of times better than HDDs. Copying large files is less suitable to SSDs; they are only twice as fast as HDDs in this area.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi Messa, I know this is an old thread, but my question is pretty similar.

Are you saying that if I owned a 10k SATA3 HDD, with a SATA3 motherboard (SR-2) and a SATA3 cable (lol) that it will still be limited to 150MB's? If not, how will it compare to SSD?

Thanks!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
godbrother, you understand correctly. Although the SATA3 (more correctly, the SATA 6.0 Gb/s) interface has a MAXIMUM BURST RATE for data transmission of 6.0 Gb/s, the limit for ALL SATA 6.0 Gb/s devices is within the device itself. There are NO hard drives (that is, the "mechanical" ones with turning disks on a spindle and moving heads on an arm) that can move their components fast enough to deliver AVERAGE performance of better than 1.5 Gb/s. Most are slower than that, but a few with very fast revolution rates (10K and 15K rpm) can reach or slightly exceed that speed. ON the other hand, current SSD's with no moving parts regularly achieve twice that AVERAGE data delivery performance, but still not up to the full capacity of the SATA 6.0 Gb/s interface. In future we all hope that SSD's will get even faster, bigger and cheaper. But the design of the SATA 6.0 Gb/s interface was deliberately MUCH faster than any anticipated device, so the interface itself would not be a limiting factor.

spawn782

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Question: Since SSDs connect to the motherboard using the SATA cables, it would be best to get a SATA 3 mobo if I am buying now? Even though the current SSDs don't reach the 6.0 Gb/s it could cross the 3.0Gb/s soon and then the bottle neck would be the SATA II connectors?

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
SATA 3 is becoming more common. If I was buying one, and the difference between a SATA 2 MB and a SATA 3 one was 5 or 10 bucks, I'd do it.

One thing I've learned is, don't freak out about what might be in 5 years. Get something that is good for you for today or a few years. In 3-4 years maybe SATA 4 and the Intel 7500000 processor rule the world, and your 4 year old SATA 3 capable MB would be an antique.

AntiZero

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

Found my way to this thread on a quest to build my first system.

Buying sometime this week the ASUS M4A88TD-V. It's about $20 more than lesser boards by ASUS in the same theme that are USB2 and SATA2. It also got me the 128mb sideport memory so I don't need to buy a video card, but I'm not a gamer.

Also: most HDDs I've looked at are available in SATA2 or SATA3 for about the same price.

Some food for thought:
I have an idea of a crazy fast boot drive, but I only started learning about hardware a month ago. CompactFlash cards are IDE native. Grab a couple adapters and some fancy UDMA6 600x cards and you could smoke a consumer grade SSD. But that's way to expensive. The new CFast cards are native SATA and cost hundreds a gig for industrial applications (check out the brand addonics).

Realistically ($100), you could get 4x4GB CF cards UDMA4 250x and 4 adapters for about the same price/speed as a 16GB SSD. RAID 5 for security at the cost of capacity, or RAID 0 for kamakazi style. The 2 drawbacks are that it CF has a limited lifespan based on writes and that it is a silly idea anyway.

I can't help but remember the time my dad spent $160 on vacation for a 1GB SD card and I got one for $30 6 months later. My main problem with buying an SSD at this time is that too much of the price is just for the newness of the idea.

SSD is the future. Mechanical drives have mechanical limitations. Ask your mom or kid sister what an SSD is. The day they can answer that, they will become affordable. I'm probably going to RAID up some Caviar blacks or Samsung F3's and wait for the prices to drop.

warmbeer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Reviving this thread as I am trying to optimize large data transfers between a variety of HDDs without over spending. Is the statement by Paperdoc: " There are NO hard drives (that is, the "mechanical" ones with turning disks on a spindle and moving heads on an arm) that can move their components fast enough to deliver AVERAGE performance of better than 1.5 Gb/s. " still true today? If so it will be very helpful in driving my decisions.
TIA
ed

USAFRet

Titan
Reviving this thread as I am trying to optimize large data transfers between a variety of HDDs without over spending. Is the statement by Paperdoc: " There are NO hard drives (that is, the "mechanical" ones with turning disks on a spindle and moving heads on an arm) that can move their components fast enough to deliver AVERAGE performance of better than 1.5 Gb/s. " still true today? If so it will be very helpful in driving my decisions.
TIA
ed
Almost a decade later, that is still true.
Spinning drives have peaked at their transfer rate. The physics of moving the head, the spinning drive, and seeking the next bit of data.

SSD's benefit in their near zero seek time. Nothing to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.