crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks in advance!

Okay, which driver should I use for AHCI capabilities, the driver that is installed via the intel chipset utility, or should I install the newly updated "storage matrix" driver and software?

I only have one HDD and care not for raid despite my SB being an ICH9R.

My gut tells me I'm fine with the driver that comes with the intel chipset software, but I just wanted to be safe. Any insight would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Windows 7 X64 Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Asus Maximus Formula X38 chipset
1 WD Caviar Black Edition 1TB HDD
4GB Gskill DDR-2 800
BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTS OC2

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks for the reply, sminlal! = )

I just searched Intel's download site and found the now called, Rapid Storage Technology has a much more recent driver for my AHCI than the regular chipset software does.

According to the release notes, it claims that the RST is needed for AHCI to work. I understand Windows has a built in AHCI driver, however, is it not best to go with Intel's?

Again, any insight would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

I just used the driver included with Windows and haven't had any issues. I've not heard of any problems with the standard AHCI driver and if you're not looking for some specific feature in a later version my inclination would be to just go with the one on the Windows disc. This is because I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.

It would a different story if you're using RAID HDDs with an SSD, since Intel has a new RAID driver that will pass TRIM commands to a single SSD when the chipset is in RAID mode. In that case I'd go with the latest Intel driver.

^Wow, those speed are over/almost half of what Intels speeds are spec'd at: 230MBps Read, 70MBps Writes. OCZ Vertex 2's are listed even faster.

Also, that is close to what the website had listed, just a little slower. These speeds are even slower than my HDD.

Is it too late to return this SSD, and say get a Intel X25-M 80GB for $229.00? Or any other SSD: OCZ Vertex, OCZ Vertex 2, A-Data X25-M?

ylgram

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

My SSD is using IDE not SATA!