zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I don't do a lot of multitasking or cpu intensive apps but I'm an enthusiastic gamer so i'm really looking for a processor that do well in games. The rest is bonus. I'm thinking of getting a 775socket mobo that supports ddr3 + ddr3 ram+ q9650 OR the corei7 setup. My prob is they cost almost the same to build and I'm really unsure as to what to get. I believe the corei7 will be more future proof but then again i don't think i'll be changing my processor for the coming 3-4 years. I also want to do some mild o'c on the processor.

& I'm concerned about the mobo support for ddr3 ram as well. It seems that the corei7 mobo has support for higher freq ram. Based on this reason should i choose i7? But how about the processor? I think Q9650 will perform better for games mainly but in the long run will the better freq ram overcome all the shortcomings of i7? i dont know if my thoughts are sound, need advice.

Well http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057-25.html
Check this article...it has many benchmarks comparing the q9650, i7 and many other processors...So mayb after this u can get a clear idea...
But my personel choice will be i7 ...they overclock very well... and mayb in 3 yrs time, u can still add a new i7 CPU to ur old x58 board who knows...So y stick wiht the old 775, which am sure will be outdated by this year end(because of the probable core i5 mainstream CPU and new socket)...

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
well i could get the QX quad core version as well as the prices drop. my main concern is regarding the ram actually.

Well I doubt the QX will come down to the price level of the i7 920 or the Q9650 because intel will never lower its extreme series chip so as to keep it in the premium segment...So they will rather stop the manufacturing of the chip than bring its price down...Its been the case for all its Extreme CPUs...

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
HMm judging from the site you gave me, the Q9650 and i7 920 seem to perform rather similar when it comes to games.Thanks for the link. I guess I'll choose i7

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
There is a very interesting feature...almost too futuristic..that is on this forum. There is a magical search button which can be used to find interesting facts like an exact topic that has already been answered! I know, it is very advanced and not many people are trained on how to use it so I cannot blame you not trying. Here is the article and answers to which you seek. :) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259266-28-q9650