Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem w/ Unmanaged Memory

Last response: in Memory
Share
May 2, 2009 11:48:37 PM

I run Windows XP and have 4GB of memory. According to my task manager I have a total of 2.6GB (I have a 512 MB card) and 2GB available. I have about 1.4GB of memory that Windows "can't see".

I recently installed Ramdisk Plus in order to put my page file onto a ram drive. I get this error when I go to File -> Memory -> Unmanaged -> Configure -> Enabled use of unmanaged memory -> OK:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?49f8f962a3.jp...

I have no idea what this means - couldn't find anything on Google.

I've also tried Gavotte but every time I create a RAM disk it uses my available memory and not my unmanaged memory. I made sure that PAE was enabled both in boot.ini as well as in the RRamdisk registry key.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to get this thing to work?


a c 78 } Memory
May 3, 2009 2:07:11 PM

It means that your system isn't fully compatible with their product.

Quote:
According to my task manager I have a total of 2.6GB (I have a 512 MB card) and 2GB available.
Can you explain what your memory configuration is? How many modules and what size are they?
May 3, 2009 3:06:49 PM

GhislainG said:
It means that your system isn't fully compatible with their product.

Quote:
According to my task manager I have a total of 2.6GB (I have a 512 MB card) and 2GB available.
Can you explain what your memory configuration is? How many modules and what size are they?


I have two matched pairs of Corsair XMS2 2GB (2X1GB) PC2-6400 DDR2-800 (timings are 4-4-4-12) each in dual channel mode.
In other words four modules, each 1GB in size. My BIOS, CPU-Z (and even Ramdisk plus) recognize all 4GB.

I thought maybe I had to enable "Memory Remapping" in my BIOS but that did nothing.
Related resources
a c 78 } Memory
May 3, 2009 5:43:06 PM

What motherboard do you have? If your motherboard supports memory remapping, then you could upgrade to Vista 64 and be able to use all available memory. I presume that you are using Windows XP Professional SP3.

I tried RamDisk Plus 9.0 on my system with 8 GB of memory (Windows XP Professional SP3). Memory remapping is always enabled (I can't even access or change that setting) and I don't have the /pae switch in boot.ini as it isn't required with SP3. System properties already indicated that PAE is enabled.

Here's what I see on my system:
May 3, 2009 8:02:25 PM

I have a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L motherboard with an Intel E8400 CPU. I may have to just bite the bullet and get a 64 bit OS if I can't find a work-around.
a c 78 } Memory
May 3, 2009 8:35:30 PM

My test is on a system with an Asus P5Q Deluxe, an Intel E8400 and 8 GB of G.Skill memory. What version of Windows XP are you using and did you add the /pae switch in boot.ini (which shouldn't be required) before testing it?
May 3, 2009 9:06:17 PM

GhislainG said:
My test is on a system with an Asus P5Q Deluxe, an Intel E8400 and 8 GB of G.Skill memory. What version of Windows XP are you using and did you add the /pae switch in boot.ini (which shouldn't be required) before testing it?


I'm on Windows XP Home SP3 - and yes I've tried adding /pae in boot.ini.
a c 78 } Memory
May 3, 2009 9:13:08 PM

The difference might be that my system has more memory because they both have the P45 chipset. I can't try it on my GA-EP45-UD3P because it runs Windows Server 2008 64-bit.
January 11, 2011 2:50:38 AM

You have to use Gavotte RamDisk 1.04, not the 1.1 version. The 1.04 version comes with a registry file that you absolutely must run for it to use your unmanaged RAM. This file is called ram4g.reg. I spent almost 6 hours trying to get this to work until finally this registry edit fixed the problem.

Follow these instructions to a T and you will be successful so long as your chipset supports it.

!