BSOD's due to RAM/Asus RAM timings? Help!

WolfTigerRosebud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hi all, I just bought a new machine from Cyber Power PCs; it arrived yesterday. It handles games beautifully, but for some odd reason, I have gotten at least 8 blue screens of death in the last 24 hours, the time since it arrived. I heard that memory timings or possibly bad memory could be the cause of these BSOD's, but its hard to tell, as I haven't had the same error more than once :-/ I'll post the system specs. If someone could help me out about how to set my memory timings, please do; I don't understand it at all, and have been searching forums for the last 24. The only thing that all the crashes share is that they happen while running games or installing programs and other system hog apps. All the things I've seen on forums have led me to believe that its a RAM problem. So, if someone can help me out with RAM timings, I'd appreciate it, and I can go from there. My guess is that that's what's causing the problem anyway, and if not that, it's probably just bad RAM. Here are the system specs:

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
CD: SONY 16X DVD-ROM
CD2: LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
FAN: CoolIT Domino A.L.C. Advanced Liquid Cooling System
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
HDD2: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus Striker II Extreme 790i Chipset SLI Mainboard Dual-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supplies (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready)
SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express

I don't know what kind of RAM they put in; I think it was just no-name stuff, the Corsair Dominator was back ordered. Anyway, I hope that's enough information to at least help me out with timings, hopefully that'll fix it. I read on a forum that sometimes, with Asus motherboards and memory over 4 gigs, you have to set the timings yourself, so that's what I'd like to try. If you have any other ideas, let me know; I'll try them out. Thanks in advance to all who answer :)

Why would you try to fix it yourself if it's brand new? Just get Cyber Power to fix it (or at least send you replacement parts so that you can determine the source of your problems). At a minimum they should be able to guide you through all BIOS settings to make sure that they are correct.

TRENDING THREADS