Sign in with
Your question

New i7 rig and considerations

Last response: in Components
March 19, 2009 11:18:18 AM

Hi all

Just about to buy a new i7 rig, but the a couple of things holding me back right now, so wondering if anyone can give me a clearer idea…
I’m looking at the Gigabyte EX58 boards, but really can’t tell the differences between the variants of EX58-UDxx types.
I want to o/c an i7 to around 3.5ghz, and I will be running one Sapphire 4870x2 for now, with the intention of going X-Fire at some stage.
Memory will be OCZ Triple Channel 6gb PC3-14400 Reaper 1.65v (anyone experienced with this memory, any probs?)

Will the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R be sufficient for my requirements, as it’s by far the most cost effective, coming in at £170. (Please no links to newegg.com showing it cheaper, as I can’t order from them here in the UK)

Other main selection “headache” is PSU, top of the shortlist is an Akasa AK-P085FG 850w, again anyone have any experience of this PSU. I was going to go Hiper again, but my Hiper 580w Type-R just nuked itself for no reason after 3 years to the month, and days after the warranty ended!

Thanks

Vin

More about : rig considerations

March 19, 2009 12:03:43 PM

Were I building a Core i7 system for myself, I'd use the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. I'd recommend the UD3R to serious overclockers. If it were my money, though, I'd buy the UD3R on the strength of its overclocking potential. 3.3 is easily achievable with a i7 920.
Akasa is a good power supply, Tier 3.
You may want to look here:
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products.
Related resources
March 19, 2009 1:58:09 PM

Ok, so I’m looking at 2 PSU’s only £6 difference in price, the above mentioned Akasa dual 12v rail 850w or a single rail Corsair 750w, the latter the slightly more expensive. Both SLI / XFire certified.

So when that choice is sorted, it’s all going to be housed in a Coolermaster HAF932 with the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, i7 920, OCZ 6gb 1800mhz DDR3 Trip Channel Reaper, Sapphire 4870 x2, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 32mb and Samsung DVD-RW.
I’m buying Artic Cooling MX2 compound BUT I am stuck on what HSF to go for.
I’d be hoping to get at least a 3.5ghz overclock on air, that’s the figure in my mind…

DDR3 isnt a choice, its a requirement with these builds so the Toms article, i'll have to live with... ;) 
March 19, 2009 1:58:18 PM

Ok, so I’m looking at 2 PSU’s only £6 difference in price, the above mentioned Akasa dual 12v rail 850w or a single rail Corsair 750w, the latter the slightly more expensive. Both SLI / XFire certified.

So when that choice is sorted, it’s all going to be housed in a Coolermaster HAF932 with the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, i7 920, OCZ 6gb 1800mhz DDR3 Trip Channel Reaper, Sapphire 4870 x2, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 32mb and Samsung DVD-RW.
I’d be hoping to get at least a 3.5ghz overclock on air, that’s the figure in my mind…

DDR3 isnt a choice, its a requirement with these builds so the Toms article, i'll have to live with... ;) 
March 19, 2009 1:58:23 PM

March 20, 2009 7:10:41 PM

vin73 said:

Corsair.
March 21, 2009 12:45:01 PM

Im looking at a similar build at the moment (and Im UK so use newegg all the time just for the reviews!). I started off with plans for the gigabyte board as it is well known, gets good reviews and great functionality.

BUT I settled on the Asus P6T6 revolution in an attempt to futureproof myself (not going to happen but worth a try) as this provided very similar functionality, giving the Crossfire and SLI support too.

The crucial difference being the PCI support. The Asus board has mainly PCIe16s which at the moment is unnecessary as most Tv tuners and wireless cards run in PCIe x1s but obviously all this is backwards compatible so (I hope) as new generations of faster cards come out I will not have to change my motherboard to cope! Just a thought.
!