Prevent laptop CPU overheating and boot failures - low tech solution

tnsilver

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I own an Acer Ferrari 3000 laptop since 2005. It is an unbelievably powerful machine but suffers one generic problem. It's AMD cpu generates lots of heat and it tends to overheat. Many warm countries users (typically Persian Gulf users) report over heating problems - often without realizing this is an overheating problem.

As such, the machine is sensitive to cooling fan irregularities. If the fan housing, for example, becomes clogged with fluff, hair, dirt or dust, the cooling fan may slow down and function improperly not evacuating the excess heat generated by the massive CPU. When this happens, some fail safe device kicks in attempting to 'rescue' the precious machine from burning down the CPU. In short, it won't let you boot and would typically sound a series of alarms. (I was told the number of alarm beeps are an indicator of specific problem - but I guess this is machine dependent).

Any way, I was following threads regarding this issue and realized that most of the times, users encountering this problem contact customer support and often have to ship their machines to service centers and labs. This is costly in money and time.

I have a very low tech solution for this problem which I only discovered after taking my laptop apart on all of it's gazillion components and tiny screws to reach the cooling fan housing. Instead of taking it apart - I just take a vacuum cleaner and attach the hose to the vent shaft at the back of the machine. I vacuum all the dirt out and then repeat this process at the vent shaft at the bottom of the machine. I take care to shut it down when I do so in order not to tamper with the rotating fan's work.

This works wonders for me, and solves the problem every time my laptop won't boot due to a clogged fan compartment. Over time, I developed an ear for the fan's labor. When I hear it work too hard, I just preemptively vacuum it's housing. This only needs to be done once in many months. Works every time (except once when I vacuum the 'escape' key off the keyboard and had to dive into the dirt bag to retrieve it). Take care to adjust the vacuum cleaner's strength to avoid damages to the internals of your machine.

Good Luck!!!!

tnsilver

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
"Thunder bolts and lightnings, very very frightening me..." - OK, now don't get paddy here with me. This is a cool tip - period. It is not my intention to start a new thread on statics here but it is a well known scientific fact that static electricity only affects Soviet nuclear power plants control boards, Hospitals emergency power generators during power crisis and the occasional surprised door knob touching, wall to wall carpeted Motel guest in upstate New York - exclusively. FYI - I have not once in my life time, managed to damage, not even deliberately, any piece of electronic device using static. Not even when I snapped my electronic lighter at their delicate guts. No way. This is a myth.

Besides, compressed air - by nature... compresses. What you want to do in such a case is suck - not blow. Any way, I have spent all my money back in 2005 buying this Acer piece of machinery. I can't afford a can of compressed air and god help me if I have to drag my lazy behind to the hardware shop and ask for one when all I got to do is switch on the family sucker.

Keep sharing.