Sign in with
Your question

Using a laptop HDD in Desktop

Last response: in Storage
June 13, 2010 1:13:09 PM

Hi all,

I know there are ide conversion kits for using a laptop drive in your desktop, but I am seeking confirmation that you can use as your primary drive with OS and all, just like a regular desktop drive. Most of the reading I have done on various forums just comment on data transfer and recovery. No one has specifically stated you can simply plug in and load up your OS.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

More about : laptop hdd desktop

a c 143 G Storage
June 13, 2010 2:00:06 PM

Yes, a laptop drive can be used for your OS drive on a PC with the appropriate adpators. Typically, laptop drives run slower which don't make them ideal for a PC's OS. Is there a reason you want to do this instead of buying/upgrading your hard drive??
m
l
June 13, 2010 3:50:02 PM

tecmo34 said:
Yes, a laptop drive can be used for your OS drive on a PC with the appropriate adpators. Typically, laptop drives run slower which don't make them ideal for a PC's OS. Is there a reason you want to do this instead of buying/upgrading your hard drive??

Someone asked me to build them a PC with their laptop drive because they did not want to buy another OS.

On the OS issue, is it possible to transfer to contents of the laptop drive to a new desktop drive and continue to use the OS on the new drive? Or does microsoft block this in some way?
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 G Storage
June 13, 2010 4:18:05 PM

You will need to do a fresh install of the OS to ensure it will work properly, which isn't issue as long as your friend has the disk and key. You just may have to do by phone and if there is a reason you need to talk to someone, just say you had to do a fresh install because your hard drive died.

You can make a backup of the documents, music, etc... on a flash drive or external drive and reinstall. You won't be able to do a complete transfer because the systems are so different.
m
l
June 13, 2010 6:45:06 PM

You could make an effective clone of the hard drive and mirror it onto a new hard drive.
Or
for example
use the systeminfo within the cmd. Easy way to find the windows product key then re install said OS/Version on to a new hard drive.
The slow read/write rate will really hamper you on a desktop
m
l
!