gamerguy1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hello.

I hope everyone had a good holiday.

I had a quick question about Sata and Sata2 hard drives. I have a 4850 1gb card and a Sata1 hard drive. My pc is used mostly for games. Is the performance of my videocard hampered by a sata1 drive? My motherboard is a Gigabyte p35 DS3R. Im a little confused whether it is a pcie 1.1 or 2.0. Since my pc is used for games, am I hindering the maximum performance with this configuration? I like to tinker with both the hardware and software, but right now I do very little overclocking of either my gpu or cpu. Am I having the maximum performance out of these components? The video card is the most "recent" of my components so should I make any changes to this configuration?

Thanks.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
There's a difference, but not enough to warrant an upgrade.

Have a look here here (it is a bit old).

In terms of HDD, you're looking for rotational speed to increase performance (aka above 7500RPM - but even then it's debatable).

As for your question: no, it won't bottleneck it. Most of the stuff for graphic functions is handled in RAM once loaded from hdd (textures). So when a game loads that's when the textures are loaded off the hdd into memory (ram) and once the game begins there's isn't a constraint from the hdd except when updating or when loading dynamically as the game progresses (this is lesser taxing than the first load).

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I have the same motherboard and I don't think it is bottlenecking anything...
The PCIe is 1.1... Thus not completely sure about the GPU... I have GTX280 and I'm also having doubts that it might be bit bottlenecked...

A faster HD will not improve the speed at which games run, just their loading times.
A HD4850 will run no faster on a PCI-E 2.0 board.
You are good to go.
BTW, check out the overclocking forum if you have n`t done so already, it has several informative guides you might find useful.