500Gb hdd shows only 127Gb

Hi my PC is running low on storage space, so I purchased a 500 Gb sata disk to sit alongside my existing 320Gb sata. In my computer the 500 only shows as 127Gb?
I am running win XP with all updates.
My Iomega 1Tb external music centre shows 900+Gb when plugged in.
Eric
5 answers Last reply
More about 500gb shows 127gb
  1. Did you download and install the HDD mfr's disk utilities to install the HDD to your system? Most have a utility pack that allows you to format and install the HDD.
  2. Did you download and install the HDD mfr's disk utilities to install the HDD to your system? Most have a utility pack that allows you to format and install the HDD.[/quotemsg
    treefrog07 Thanks for your reply!!!
    Following your idea I went to the Seagate site, whilst looking for the downloads I spotted FAQ-- checking this out, I spotted a question similar.
    Long and short of it was, go to computer management, I did this and found that my new 500Gb disk was there, but had a partition set at, Yes 127Gb. the rest of the space was unallocated. I reformatted the whole disc and when
    completed it showed the whole disc and "Healthy" 470Gb.
    Again-----MANY THANKS
  3. It certainly sounds to me like you bought a returned drive.
    Somebody has previous purchased the disk, took it home, tried to install it to an OS that is pre-XP SP1, found out they could not use the entire drive, they took it back, told the returns people they have found out the cannot use a drive that big, and the store simply reboxed it and put it back on the shelf for sale.
  4. what I have read tonight on different pages these manufactures are misleading us has to the true capacity of there HArd drives I thought it was my system I am running Windows 8 Its got a lot of good points
  5. I glad I think I am getting some where
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Storage