Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Zalman CNPS10X EXTREME VS the hyper 212+ vs noctua nh-d14

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 22, 2010 1:28:42 AM

Hello,
Everyone.

I'd like to know

Zalman CNPS10X extreme vs hyper 212plus vs noctua nh-d14

please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in advance
a b K Overclocking
May 22, 2010 3:58:11 AM

In terms of performance:

1. Noctua NH-D14 - This thing is huge and is really good at cooling.
2. Zalman CNPS10X Extreme - Relatively decent sized, a pretty good cooler.
3. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - I'd say the worst out of those three, but still a very decent performing cooler, and for a mere $34.99.
m
0
l
May 22, 2010 5:23:56 AM

ruffandruff said:
Hello,
Everyone.

I'd like to know

Zalman CNPS10X extreme vs hyper 212plus vs noctua nh-d14

please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in advance


Performance-wise:

1. Noctua NH-D14
2. Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
3. CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
m
0
l
Related resources
May 22, 2010 3:13:28 PM

Quote:
How can you compare a $90 hsf with a $75 hsf with a $35 hsf. Makes no sense.

Tell us what your using it for and your budget and we can suggest the best for you.

If you got $90 to spend on a cooler (ridiculous if you ask me) then buy it.

If you only got $35, get the 212+, it's hands down the best cooler for the money.


I want to get my i7 860 to 3.6~3.8 ghz on asus maximus iii formula.

And i dont want a huge cooler in my case.

All i want is decent sized and good performing cooler.

my specs are..

intel i7 860 2.8 stock
asus max iii formula
2 gb ddr3 ram
antec 900 case
3 hdds of total 1 tb
650watts psu
gts 250 1 GB

please reply soon.
m
0
l
May 22, 2010 4:17:33 PM

ruffandruff said:
I want to get my i7 860 to 3.6~3.8 ghz on asus maximus iii formula.

And i dont want a huge cooler in my case.

All i want is decent sized and good performing cooler.

my specs are..

intel i7 860 2.8 stock
asus max iii formula
2 gb ddr3 ram
antec 900 case
3 hdds of total 1 tb
650watts psu
gts 250 1 GB

please reply soon.


Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
May 22, 2010 4:21:52 PM

Newegg lists that Zalman at 920grams, that 2lbs VS 626 for the 212, fyi :) 
m
0
l
May 22, 2010 4:31:33 PM

U can also have a luk at Zalman CNPS10X Performa and I think it cools better than Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
m
0
l
May 22, 2010 4:48:03 PM

abhi_jollyguy said:
U can also have a luk at Zalman CNPS10X Performa and I think it cools better than Zalman CNPS10X Extreme


So you say that perferma is better at cooling than extreme
m
0
l
a c 155 K Overclocking
May 23, 2010 2:46:01 AM

The Zalman (28.08) comes in a degree better than the Noctua (29.10) .... both well behind the Prolimatech (24.29) ($65) and Scyth 2000 / 2100 (26.03) ($34)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

ProlimaTech Megahalems 24.29°C over ambient -4°C
Thermalright Venomous-X 24.47°C over ambient -4°C
Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000 26.03°C over ambient -3°C
Cogage Arrow 26.53°C over ambient -3°C
Titan FENRIR TTC-NK85TZ 27.92°C over ambient -1°C
Zalman CNPS10X-Performa 28.08°C over ambient -1°C
Coolink Corator-DS 28.38°C over ambient -1°C
Cogage TRUE Spirit 28.39°C over ambient -1°C
Noctual NH-D14 (2x 140) 29.10°C over ambient
ProlimaTech Armageddon 29.26°C over ambient
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 29.40°C over ambient
CyberPowerPC XtremeGear HP-1216B 29.42°C over ambient
3R-System IceAge Prima Boss-II IA-120B2 29.46°C over ambient
Tuniq Tower-120 Extreme 29.52°C over ambient
Intel DBX-B ATS (Performance) 29.65°C over ambient
Xigmatek Balder SD1283 CAC-SXHH3-U06 30.00°C over ambient +1°C
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer S126384 30.76°C over ambient +1°C
Noctua NH-U12P 31.68°C over ambient +2°C
Thermaltake Contac-29 CLP0568 32.60°C over ambient +3°C


http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

High-Performance Heatsinks

Ignoring budget and the hardware envolved, my suggestions can be based purely on cooling performance.

1. ProlimaTech Megahalems: Using the best mounting system I've ever tested, this cooler delivers extraordinary contact surface pressure between the processor and polished finish on the heatsink base. As of March 2010 the ProlimaTech Megahalems was available at FrozenCPU for $65. AMD users will also want the AM2/AM2+/AM3 mounting kit for an extra $10. Adding two Yate Loon D12SH-12 fans in a push-pull configuration for $7 each will make Megahalems unstoppable.
2. Thermalright Venomous-X: The new mounting system offers incredible contact pressure, and pairs a polished contact surface to densely packed heatsink that supports two 120mm cooling fans. The heatsink alone costs $70, and the optional AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 adds another $10, plus you'll need to purchase fans. Once installed, Venomous-X delivers on its years of past design experience.
3. Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000: Trailing right behind the two leaders is the $35 Mugen-II cooler, which already includes AMD mounting hardware and a premium Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip-Stream fan... all for only half the cost of the the other two options. The SCMG-2000 model has already received honorable mention for our Editors Choice Award pertaining to value, and it consistently finishes at the very top.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The Scythe Mugen-2 Revision B model SCMG-2100 heatsink is identical to the first version, model SCMG-2000. The only difference is that Mugen-2 Rev. B uses a newly developed F.M.S.B. (Flip Mount Super Back-Plate) for more convenient mounting onto the motherboard. There should not be any cooling performance between these two models, despite marketing hype.

If you're looking to cool your overclocked CPU on a budget, and the $35 Scythe Mugen-II is too large for your application, then consider the Cogage TRUE-Spirit, but four heat-pipe rods may limit the thermal range this cooler can handle compared to more robust coolers. You'll want a better fan (or two), and the aftermarket Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru Kit for an extra $10, but there's certainly some performance to be had from the TRUE Spirit. Once inventory is available, the Zalman CNPS10X-Performa is a cooler worth considerating. Beyond these, there are only a handful of other CPU coolers I might consider worthy of high-temperature overclocking projects on the LGA1366 socket. Xigmatek's HDT-S1284EE offers four 8mm heatpipe rods in the base, and sells for $40, and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus isn't a bad deal for $29.
m
0
l
May 23, 2010 3:30:39 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
The Zalman (28.08) comes in a degree better than the Noctua (29.10) .... both well behind the Prolimatech (24.29) ($65) and Scyth 2000 / 2100 (26.03) ($34)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

ProlimaTech Megahalems 24.29°C over ambient -4°C
Thermalright Venomous-X 24.47°C over ambient -4°C
Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000 26.03°C over ambient -3°C
Cogage Arrow 26.53°C over ambient -3°C
Titan FENRIR TTC-NK85TZ 27.92°C over ambient -1°C
Zalman CNPS10X-Performa 28.08°C over ambient -1°C
Coolink Corator-DS 28.38°C over ambient -1°C
Cogage TRUE Spirit 28.39°C over ambient -1°C
Noctual NH-D14 (2x 140) 29.10°C over ambient
ProlimaTech Armageddon 29.26°C over ambient
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 29.40°C over ambient
CyberPowerPC XtremeGear HP-1216B 29.42°C over ambient
3R-System IceAge Prima Boss-II IA-120B2 29.46°C over ambient
Tuniq Tower-120 Extreme 29.52°C over ambient
Intel DBX-B ATS (Performance) 29.65°C over ambient
Xigmatek Balder SD1283 CAC-SXHH3-U06 30.00°C over ambient +1°C
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer S126384 30.76°C over ambient +1°C
Noctua NH-U12P 31.68°C over ambient +2°C
Thermaltake Contac-29 CLP0568 32.60°C over ambient +3°C


http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

High-Performance Heatsinks

Ignoring budget and the hardware envolved, my suggestions can be based purely on cooling performance.

1. ProlimaTech Megahalems: Using the best mounting system I've ever tested, this cooler delivers extraordinary contact surface pressure between the processor and polished finish on the heatsink base. As of March 2010 the ProlimaTech Megahalems was available at FrozenCPU for $65. AMD users will also want the AM2/AM2+/AM3 mounting kit for an extra $10. Adding two Yate Loon D12SH-12 fans in a push-pull configuration for $7 each will make Megahalems unstoppable.
2. Thermalright Venomous-X: The new mounting system offers incredible contact pressure, and pairs a polished contact surface to densely packed heatsink that supports two 120mm cooling fans. The heatsink alone costs $70, and the optional AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 adds another $10, plus you'll need to purchase fans. Once installed, Venomous-X delivers on its years of past design experience.
3. Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000: Trailing right behind the two leaders is the $35 Mugen-II cooler, which already includes AMD mounting hardware and a premium Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip-Stream fan... all for only half the cost of the the other two options. The SCMG-2000 model has already received honorable mention for our Editors Choice Award pertaining to value, and it consistently finishes at the very top.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The Scythe Mugen-2 Revision B model SCMG-2100 heatsink is identical to the first version, model SCMG-2000. The only difference is that Mugen-2 Rev. B uses a newly developed F.M.S.B. (Flip Mount Super Back-Plate) for more convenient mounting onto the motherboard. There should not be any cooling performance between these two models, despite marketing hype.

If you're looking to cool your overclocked CPU on a budget, and the $35 Scythe Mugen-II is too large for your application, then consider the Cogage TRUE-Spirit, but four heat-pipe rods may limit the thermal range this cooler can handle compared to more robust coolers. You'll want a better fan (or two), and the aftermarket Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru Kit for an extra $10, but there's certainly some performance to be had from the TRUE Spirit. Once inventory is available, the Zalman CNPS10X-Performa is a cooler worth considerating. Beyond these, there are only a handful of other CPU coolers I might consider worthy of high-temperature overclocking projects on the LGA1366 socket. Xigmatek's HDT-S1284EE offers four 8mm heatpipe rods in the base, and sells for $40, and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus isn't a bad deal for $29.



what do say about the hyper 212 plus and about zalman performa is worth than the hyper 212 plus( sorry for my english)
m
0
l

Best solution

May 23, 2010 6:52:47 AM

ruffandruff said:
got confused...............So i dont want to get confused, forget about that and you tell to which i need to go for extreme or performa


In my opinion, u should go with the Zalman CNPS10X Performa
Share
May 23, 2010 10:35:48 AM

abhi_jollyguy said:
In my opinion, u should go with the Zalman CNPS10X Performa


going to get it thanks
m
0
l
May 23, 2010 12:21:03 PM

If you can, ditch all 3 and go for the megahalems with a scythe slip stream fan , better performance than the CNPS10X for less money !
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2010 12:24:59 PM

You should check this out

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...

It shows that the top heatsinks(top on that chart to the Performa) only have them selves separated by 4 degrees. This is a synthetic test and I do generally like that for this kind of thing.

Either way, it seems like a solid choice for the right price. That heatsink also comes with a fairly good back plate system(same one as the CNPS10X Flex). The one for the CNPS10X Extreme SUCKS. It does not even use screws to hold to the board(not on I5/7 that is).

Overall i think the Performa should work well for you.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2010 12:28:40 PM

avatar_raq said:
If you can, ditch all 3 and go for the megahalems with a scythe slip stream fan , better performance than the CNPS10X for less money !

For real? At least at the places i look the CNPS10X Performa($45 often on sale for $35) is cheaper then the megahalems($59) without any fans.
m
0
l
May 23, 2010 3:15:38 PM

nukemaster said:
You should check this out

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...

It shows that the top heatsinks(top on that chart to the Performa) only have them selves separated by 4 degrees. This is a synthetic test and I do generally like that for this kind of thing.

Either way, it seems like a solid choice for the right price. That heatsink also comes with a fairly good back plate system(same one as the CNPS10X Flex). The one for the CNPS10X Extreme SUCKS. It does not even use screws to hold to the board(not on I5/7 that is).

Overall i think the Performa should work well for you.



hi nuke master, thank you for your answer. your answer helped me very much. i got rid of almost 90% of confusion.

Can you suggest between hyper 212plus and zalman performa. please explain, i am a beginner. thanks
m
0
l
May 23, 2010 3:33:12 PM

ruffandruff said:
hi nuke master, thank you for your answer. your answer helped me very much. i got rid of almost 90% of confusion.

Can you suggest between hyper 212plus and zalman performa. please explain, i am a beginner. thanks


Now I don't trust Frostytech's testing methodology that much though I admit that their testing methodology is up-to the par.

They have stated in top ten intel heatsinks chart that Spire Thermax Eclipse II and Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme are better than Noctua NH-D14 and Thermaltake Frio is better than Prolimatech Megahalem - which I think is totally impossible.

Well I think u should go with Zalman CNPS10X Performa. Don't be confused that much.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2010 5:37:46 PM

Ruffandruff, just remember that the i7 860 will produce more heat (with HT enabled) than any quad out there (about 10c more) and tends to take a little more voltage to OC than it's 9xx series brothers.

I bought my 860 at launch and the only cooler available was the 212+, I used it for about two weeks before something better became available (Mega Shadow) and then I replaced it because of temps.

Just wanted to let you know that you will be much better off (and happier) getting the best cooler you can afford.

m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2010 1:42:12 AM

abhi_jollyguy said:
Now I don't trust Frostytech's testing methodology that much though I admit that their testing methodology is up-to the par.

They have stated in top ten intel heatsinks chart that Spire Thermax Eclipse II and Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme are better than Noctua NH-D14 and Thermaltake Frio is better than Prolimatech Megahalem - which I think is totally impossible.


I would almost guess that the Noctua's use of lower CFM, higher static pressure may not out pace a higher 80CFM fan on other heatsinks under the right circumstances. I mean I do use a Noctua(NF-12P) fan on my CNPS10X Flex, but one and clearly 2 Antec 120mm 80 cfm fans do cool a fair bit better. But for the lower noise I use the Noctua fan. That would be my guess.

The Spire's Thermax Eclipse II for example does have a 93cfm fan, that is allot of air and it only beats out the NH-D14 with 2 of those fans installed.

The Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme only "Beats" it by 0.4 degrees.

All this can change as you get closer to the maximum heat sink capacity. Overclocking sites tend to get a different result because they are pushing allot more heat then frosty tech. When I had a Freezer 7 Pro on my E6600 back in the day, it was cooler then Zalman's CNPS 9500AT but with a Q6600(quad vs dual) overclocked the CNPS 9500AT took a lead, then at one point nothing could keep up with the heat(well, nothing I had).
m
0
l
May 24, 2010 1:42:16 AM

RJR said:
Ruffandruff, just remember that the i7 860 will produce more heat (with HT enabled) than any quad out there (about 10c more) and tends to take a little more voltage to OC than it's 9xx series brothers.

I bought my 860 at launch and the only cooler available was the 212+, I used it for about two weeks before something better became available (Mega Shadow) and then I replaced it because of temps.

Just wanted to let you know that you will be much better off (and happier) getting the best cooler you can afford.



thanks
m
0
l
May 24, 2010 1:57:13 AM

Best answer selected by ruffandruff.
m
0
l
April 24, 2011 10:42:05 PM

Quote:
How can you compare a $90 hsf with a $75 hsf with a $35 hsf. Makes no sense.

Tell us what your using it for and your budget and we can suggest the best for you.

If you got $90 to spend on a cooler (ridiculous if you ask me) then buy it.

If you only got $35, get the 212+, it's hands down the best cooler for the money.



I know people hate when others do this to them but I'm tired of the rampant ignorance:

Correct: Tell us what you're using it for...

Correct: If you only have $90...

Correct: If you only have $35...

That way, you'll have much more credibility.
m
0
l
!