Sign in with
Your question

Multiple motherboard failures

Last response: in Motherboards
May 3, 2009 5:10:51 PM

The problem is that sometimes when I shut down the computer and restart it later on, it won't boot at all. So when it happned the first time I reset the CMOS and when I restarted it, it worked again...
But now it has happened again and I wonder if it's something wrong with the hardware on the motherboard or if it is something else (to me it seems like it is the motherboard).

The motherboard is new so the warranty is still valid, what do you guys think?
a c 236 V Motherboard
May 3, 2009 8:06:18 PM

What are the complete system specs? Did it happen before replacing the motherboard?
May 3, 2009 9:16:29 PM

The motherboard wasn't replaced... I built it from scratch, but here are the specs:
Motherboard: Asus P5QL Pro
Graphics: Asus GeForce GTX 260
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2
PSU: ACE RAW DEAL+ 620W

And I would also like to add, the computer is stable when running, but the problem is when powered up. Also, it has to be something with the mobo becuase it doesn't boot or beep at all, and the PSU is fine because it can run well when this doesn't happen.
The problem can also be temporarily resolved by resetting the CMOS as I described.

So therefore I think it's a mobo hardware problem, but I can't be 100% sure because i've read about similar cases and would like confirmation before requesting a new mobo (so I don't replace it in vain).
Related resources
a c 236 V Motherboard
May 3, 2009 9:54:49 PM

The PSU shouldn't be ruled out. If you can, you should try a different PSU (different brand/model) to make sure. The specs are not very good for a 620W PSU:

+3.3V max 22A
+5V max 16A
+12V1 max 15A
+12V2 max 16A
-12V max 0.8A
+5VSB max 2.5A

An Antec EA 430 PSU has similar specs: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjQ=
May 3, 2009 10:19:32 PM

I really don't think it is the PSU look here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-258297_12_0.ht...

It has very, very similar problems and that guy's PSU has even better amps than the one you posted (except for +5VSB, but mine has the same as the one you posted)

Also, if it was the PSU the system wouldn't be fine if you reset the CMOS.

Thanks for your answer BTW, I like thinking through problems from all possible angels.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2009 10:47:02 PM

i have a p5q deluxe... and it has the oddest quirk. it wont post when i plug stuff into the usb ports. uplug the ports, and it posts. i can then, plug in all the usb. sort of ridiculous, but it is what it is.
May 4, 2009 2:47:43 AM

pederz said:
I really don't think it is the PSU look here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-258297_12_0.ht...

It has very, very similar problems and that guy's PSU has even better amps than the one you posted (except for +5VSB, but mine has the same as the one you posted)

Also, if it was the PSU the system wouldn't be fine if you reset the CMOS.

Thanks for your answer BTW, I like thinking through problems from all possible angels.

Are you certain that there is indeed a system speaker connected? That particular board requires a separate PC speaker attachment (the header is found on the lower right corner of the board).
Have you checked that all settings in the BIOS are at stock specifications?
Is there any electrical short to the case? An easy way to eliminate this is booting the system out of the case on a non-conductive surface.

If possible, it would be a good idea to check the PSU's voltages for improper outputs (with a voltmeter, of course).
May 4, 2009 3:02:29 AM

You could always look for a bios update sometimes the bios hangs that could be the issue.
May 4, 2009 4:13:13 AM

DaMAn42 said:
You could always look for a bios update sometimes the bios hangs that could be the issue.

I would seriously advise against updating the BIOS, as there is always the chance of killing the BIOS with a bad flash, and in this situation it is impossible to replace the physical BIOS chip on the board.

Also, what are you referring to when you say "BIOS hang"? The BIOS only hangs when there is a faulty component, which therefor prevents it from POSTing. A faulty BIOS wouldn't allow the motherboard to boot at all.
May 4, 2009 5:48:16 AM

g3force said:
Are you certain that there is indeed a system speaker connected? That particular board requires a separate PC speaker attachment (the header is found on the lower right corner of the board).
Have you checked that all settings in the BIOS are at stock specifications?
Is there any electrical short to the case? An easy way to eliminate this is booting the system out of the case on a non-conductive surface.

If possible, it would be a good idea to check the PSU's voltages for improper outputs (with a voltmeter, of course).

I have connected the speaker, and since I haven't changed anything in the bios since the first CMOS reset, the settings should be at stock specs.
The electrical short I will check out though!

I'll also check if I have the latest BIOS and if I don't, see if they have fixed something in any of the updates.

Also, keep posting ideas if you have any :) 
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2009 7:51:11 AM

Flash the motherboard BIOS if you don't have the latest. I use 2 Asus boards (P5N-D and P5Q SE PLUS) and was never afraid of a corrupt BIOS during a flash because my boards and yours have the CrashFree BIOS 3 - you won't need to replace the ROM chip if something goes wrong. It's pretty much a foolproof system - just pop in the the CD with the Afudos and latest BIOS and you're good to go.
a c 156 V Motherboard
May 4, 2009 1:25:16 PM

GhislainG said:
The PSU shouldn't be ruled out. If you can, you should try a different PSU (different brand/model) to make sure. The specs are not very good for a 620W PSU:

+3.3V max 22A
+5V max 16A
+12V1 max 15A
+12V2 max 16A
-12V max 0.8A
+5VSB max 2.5A

No way that the specs indicate a 620 watt PSU. 500 watts perhaps, but not 620.

g3force's suggestion is a good one also. See breadboarding:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...

It will, at least, make troubleshooting easier.
May 4, 2009 2:53:58 PM

The PSU runs at 480W and 620W when at peek load. So basically, it's a 480W.

Also breadboarding would be kind of hard, as it is my friends computer so I can only do stuff like that when i'm there.

But I mean, what more could it be than the mobo, everything else is ruled out.
If it was the CPU the computer wouldn't have been able to run in the first place.
If it was the graphics/memory the mobo would still post which it doesn't.
And if it was the PSU the computer would not start if the problems was severe, and also reseting CMOS wouldn't fix such a problem.

That only leaves the mobo, ill try to talk my friend through a BIOS flash and see how that works out.
May 6, 2009 7:20:34 PM

Okay, I have now flashed the BIOS with the newest version.
But that wasn't the problem, it was a bad connection inside the white extention that came with the mobo (to connect the power button, speaker etc). It probably made the mobo behave like that, not posting and so on.

So the computer is stable now, thanks for all your ideas.
!