Help I have a problem about my Hard Disk

zero_ken13

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I just bought a new Sata Hard Disk from Western Digital it has 160GB of Space and it's Product code is WD1600AJS. Well at first it worked fine I have installed a Windows 7 32 bit just to try it out after my installation I decided to install a windows XP from the partition that I made earlier, just after the reboot from the final set up my hard disk doesn't already boots i stuck in my computer start up (where the computer detects the ram) I press the Del. button to enter the bios but nothing happens, and also my motherboard is only supporting sata 150 and if I'm not mistaken my WD HD is a sata 300 device, is that can cause my hard disk to fail, I'm sorry I'm not very good in english but I hope you can help me guys here are my computer specs for now, i removed my WD hard disk because if i put it in I can't use my machine. (sorry if its junk already =) )

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 531
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
2.0GB Single-Channel DDR @ 199MHz 3-3-3-8
Motherboard
ECS P4M800-M7 (CPU 1)
Graphics
505G @ 1024x768
256MB GeForce FX 5500 (Undefined)
Hard Drives
40.21GB Hitachi HDS728040PLAT20 (IDE) 38 °C
39.08GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM3402111A (IDE) 40 °C
39.08GB Seagate ST340016A (IDE) 38 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20L
XWVM RST2NW9INK5A SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

Solution
First of all, look closely at the jumpers on your SATA HDD. For almost all of them you should NOT change any jumper settings. There are NO jumper settings for things like Master and Slave on SATA units. The jumpers and pins that do exist on a SATA HDD are for different purposes entirely. ONE jumper may be used to force SATA 150 Gb/s speed, as we have discussed. That is the ONE jumper you may want to add or remove. I know that on WD HDD's there is another jumper and pin pair that, if misused, can make the HDD completely useless - is appears to be dead! But it is not, and if that jumper is reset to the proper factory default setting the drive will be fine. SO - go to the WDC website and look up your particular HDD unit. Find the proper...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check the WDC website here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1340&p_created=&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185&p_pv=2.295&p_prods=227%2C295#jumper

for the diagram how to place a jumper on its pins to force it to slow down to the Sata 1.5 Gb/s speed (Opt1 in the diagrams).

If you are trying to install Win XP on this HDD unit, in BIOS Setup it SATA Port Mode will have to be IDE (or PATA) Emulation, NOT AHCI or Native SATA. XP cannot use those last two modes, but Win 7 can.

zero_ken13

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
thank you Paperdoc for your help, I see I will do it immediately and post again in this thread after I've done it. I will check the link that you gave me, again thanks dude I hope your solution will end my problem =)

zero_ken13

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Sorry for the late reply

Mr. Paperdoc I did the jumper settings as instructed on the link that you've given me unfortunately I'm still having no luck. Every time I put the SATA HDD onto into my mobo I always stuck in the start-up here’s the message that my computer says:
3rd Master WDC WD1600AAJS-00L7A0 01.03E01
Ultra DMA Mode-6 SMART Capable and Status ok….
And my computer screen freezes on that part even though how many times or how fast I hit the delete button the screen just says: Entering Bios Set up
But I have tried to wait for it more than an hour but still I’m having no luck, I tried to insert my other HDD’s and combination with the SATA Device because I would like to try if I can boot with the others and if I can enter my windows I will try to format the SATA HDD there, but still whenever my system detects the SATA device I just stuck there. I’m totally on a loss right bow I hope you still can give me other solutions, or if I’m really hopeless I hope you can give me tips about SATA devices on how to take care of them and what are also the DONT’s when it comes to them. Do you think Mr. Paperdoc my installation of 2 different OS ruined my hard disk, does it have an effect?
Oh I remembered something during my Installation of my windows 7 ultimate 32bit, and when I decided to create a partition some question popped out and I can’t remember it exactly but it says that I should choose the yes button if I’m planning to add a partition to reduce the risk of data loss or data corruption something like that then when I chose the yes button another partition appeared it’s labeled D: and only has 100mb of space I’ve ignored it and created another partition for my XP installation later, after I installed the w7 I used it for a bit to make sure it’s fine and when I decided to install my favorite windows XP Sp3 the pitfalls started, I will try to say what happened before the problem occurred: first I hit the boot menu button and my machine read the CD afterward I choose the partition that I created earlier, the format process successfully finished and the second part (which is the copying of files if I’m not mistaken) also succeeded, after those 2 processes, my computer has show a message that it will reboot in 15 seconds then press ENTER to reboot now. I just waited for the execution of that text, and then my problem started to come up my computer freezes at the start up whenever the SATA HDD is connected in my computer.
I also tried to put the Jumpers on every part of it but I’m still having no luck. I guess I’m really hopeless what’s worst is the HDD was only a gift of my friend this HDD is a brand new one and he just kept it for already 1 year and then decided to give it to me, we’ll here at the Philippines Electronic Shops only provide a year for the warranty service so if my hard disk is really hopeless I guess I have no choice but to buy a new one T_T.
But I hope you guys can help me solved my problem ^_^ my hard disks is still emits heat so I think it has no problems when it comes to powering the dev ice.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First of all, look closely at the jumpers on your SATA HDD. For almost all of them you should NOT change any jumper settings. There are NO jumper settings for things like Master and Slave on SATA units. The jumpers and pins that do exist on a SATA HDD are for different purposes entirely. ONE jumper may be used to force SATA 150 Gb/s speed, as we have discussed. That is the ONE jumper you may want to add or remove. I know that on WD HDD's there is another jumper and pin pair that, if misused, can make the HDD completely useless - is appears to be dead! But it is not, and if that jumper is reset to the proper factory default setting the drive will be fine. SO - go to the WDC website and look up your particular HDD unit. Find the proper factory default jumper settings - it MAY be one jumper in place to force SATA 150 Gb/s speed, and NO other jumpers. Whatever it is, set your jumpers that way.

Now, the sequence of what you did is not entirely clear BUT I did notice something important. I THINK that you installed Win 7 at a time when there were at least two HDD units mounted in the machine. Now as part of its normal Install process, Win 7 will try to create a backup basic installation in a completely separate Partition. The idea is that, if your system has major problems later from corruption, it can use the hidden safety Partition to boot from and restore the corrupted main Partition. One aspect of this is that, if two HDD's are available at Installation time, the safety Partition will be placed on the second HDD, and then the main installation will go on the first HDD. Several people have reported here that, after this was done, they removed or changed that second HDD and suddenly their Win 7 will not boot! Apparently in the normal boot process, Win 7 wants to be very sure that the safety backup is available in good condition, and it won't complete the boot if it is missing.

Now, you say there was some message about creating a small 100 MB Partition in the Win 7 Install process and you agreed to that - perfectly normal. That sounds like the process to create the safety Partition. Now, after several other changes, you have a system that gets as far as successfully detecting a 160 GB WDC unit as the Third Master drive and then fails after that. Maybe this is when Win 7 fails to find the safety Partition somewhere. Maybe in the process of the other changes you deleted or replaced that 100 MB secret Partition, OR you removed a drive that was originally present when Win 7 was Installed.

If that is what has happened to you, MAYBE you can find and re-install a missing drive that contains the 100 MB safety Partition. Otherwise you may need to re-Install Win 7. If you do that, I recommend you do it in a configuration with ONLY that one HDD in the machine so the safety Partition will be placed on the same HDD unit and always available.

If you want to have a "dual-boot" machine in which Windows itself sets up a method and a menu for choosing your Windows version at each boot-up, there is a particular sequence you must follow. FIRST you install the OLDER Windows - in this case, XP - and it's often wise to do that with only one HDD in the machine. Once that is running you install your second HDD unit. THEN you Install the more recent Windows - in this case Win 7 - and it will detect the existence of a previous Windows and ask if you want a Dual Boot feature created. You say yes and, along the way, make sure the Win 7 Install is being done on the HDD where you want it - probably NOT the one that already has XP, but it's your choice. It will set up the Dual Boot menu system for you as part of the Win 7 Install.

NOTE that you cannot do this in a backward sequence. You cannot install XP on a machine that already has Win 7 installed on a HDD and expect it to figure it out and create a Dual Boot system.

There is an alternative way IF you are willing to manually change stuff, but it is not so easy and neat. Basically you mount one HDD only in the machine and install one version of Windows on it. Then you remove that HDD and install another one by itself again and install the other version of Windows on it. Then you re-install the first HDD. Now no matter which Windows you are running, both HDD's are accessible to Windows. The trick is, which one is used to boot?

YOU have to control that. You go into BIOS Setup and set the Boot Priority Sequence to use one particular HDD as a boot device and NOT the other, Save and Exit and it will boot from that HDD and its installed version of Windows. That HDD will be the C: drive and all your other devices will have letter names. It will stay this way for all subsequent boots until you change it. NOTE that this involves NO Dual Boot option or menus - the Windows you're running does not know there is another Windows installed somewhere, even though you will see all the files on the drive that contains the "other" Windows.

If you want to boot from the other Windows you must enter BIOS Setup and change which drive it boots from, Save and Exit. Now it will boot from that other drive with its other version of Windows. And that drive will become the C: drive, with all other devices given letter names that MAY be quite different from what you had before! Again, it will stay that way until you change the Boot Priority Sequence in BIOS Setup.

Not nearly so neat as the automatic Dual Boot system that a LATER version of Windows can create for you when it is installed.

Solution

zero_ken13

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
You're the best paper doc I've got a feeling that this time success will be mine ^_^ thank you very much for your help I am very very thankful to you, I'll update this post as soon as possible. Again thank you I'll do what you have said.