Picking a Raid Card

hey guys i need help picking out a raid card. I have 4, 1 tb hard drives that i will be using to setup a raid 5. my mobo will only support pci not pci-x. the price range that i am looking to spend is around 200-300. Ideally I would like reliability, storage, then performance. the hard drive that i will be using are 2 x 1tb western digital "black and green" and 2 x 1tb samsungs. "they all have identical specs". please if some one can help me out because i am really new to the raid stuff but i understand how beneficial it can be.
thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about picking raid card
  1. any one know the solution???
  2. If you are looking for raid 5 and your priorities (in order) are reliability, storage then performance, you may want to just skip out on the raid card go with a new file system called ZFS. If you need this to be on windows, then don't bother, but if you don't mind Linux or another OS read my reply here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258741-32-does-this
  3. PCI or PCI Express? You want reliability, but you are using hard disks that were not designed for RAID use.
  4. well pci or pci express doesnt matter my board supports both. i also realize that they are not designed raid hard drives but i do not have that much to buy specific drive. furthermore i want to stick with windows 7. thank for the suggestions plz keep them coming.
  5. There's a significant performance difference between PCI and PCI Express RAID controllers. If performance matters, the 3ware 9650SE-4LPML should be a good buy (a bit over your budget). Their latest drivers (9.5.3) support Windows 7. For better performance in RAID 5, add the optional 3ware BBU-MODULE-03 Battery Backup Unit (BBU). Another similarly priced controller is the MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i. A BBU also is available for this controller. I presume that your motherboard has a free PCIe x4 or faster slot.
  6. I actually have a i7 build and using the evga x58 board. What does the bbu exactly do to the raid card beside supplying back up power
  7. It allows for write caching and that can provide a significant performance boost. Write caching requires BBU just in case of a power outage during a write operation; without it you'd lose data. If most of your I/O is reading back from the RAID, then it isn't worth it.
  8. Ok I will look it to both of those card. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Hard Drives Storage