Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anyone hookup their HDTV (HDMI) to their PC (DVI)?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 15, 2009 3:46:18 PM

Hi fellas,

Can someone explain to me what I need to do to connect my HDMI plasma tv to my PC? My tv only has HDMI and D-Sub/VGA inputs. I'd rather not use the D-Sub for quality reasons (max resolution 1366 x 768 vs. 1920 x 1080 - 1080P)


I have the DVI > HDMI adapter. The video card is a Radeon 4850. I have the Catalyst drivers which, from what I read, seem to allow audio to stream through the video card and through the HDMI cable. Do I need to make any more settings on my Catalyst Control Center? Much appreciated.

More about : hookup hdtv hdmi dvi

a c 130 U Graphics card
January 15, 2009 6:25:51 PM

jwl3 said:
Hi fellas,

Can someone explain to me what I need to do to connect my HDMI plasma tv to my PC? My tv only has HDMI and D-Sub/VGA inputs. I'd rather not use the D-Sub for quality reasons (max resolution 1366 x 768 vs. 1920 x 1080 - 1080P)


I have the DVI > HDMI adapter. The video card is a Radeon 4850. I have the Catalyst drivers which, from what I read, seem to allow audio to stream through the video card and through the HDMI cable. Do I need to make any more settings on my Catalyst Control Center? Much appreciated.


Well i am expecting there to be some settings in the CCC maybe even Hydravision. I just bought the HDMI Cable today so i tell you what if i get it working i will re-post and if you get yours sorted first you can post and tell me how it works ;) 
I know its not answering the question but most people i have asked have said you wont know untill you try as your equipment may have differant defaults to others.
Mactronix
January 15, 2009 8:12:50 PM

You must use the included grey DVI->HDMI adapter to do so. I found mine to be flaky, so I just hooked it up mini->RCA (HD 3650 to Panasonic TH-42PZ77U).
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 15, 2009 9:25:58 PM

Well i just hooked mine up and no Audio :(  I had worried that the secondary may not carry the audio and am hoping thats what th eproblem is.
I will set it up on the primary tomorrow if i get chance and let you know how it goes.

Mactronix
January 15, 2009 9:40:41 PM

You do need drivers for the audio; HDMI on the vidcard, and then need to enable it through ControlPanel/SOUND
January 15, 2009 10:36:37 PM

I currently have two systems.. one I'm using an ATI 4650 on a 36" Aquos at 720p, the other is my gameing rig, 4870 X2 on a 42" Aquos at 1080p, AWESOME just doesnt doesn't describe it! Oblivion never looked this good on my 19" lcd's. Setup was plug and play easy! This is the cable I'm using in both cases:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2009 11:23:32 PM

check monoprice.com for cables. I got a 6' DVI > HDMI for $3.50, and plugged it straight into TV from a 8800GTS. Some TVs need to adjust the screen size or borders to fit the image (I have a 52" DLP) but it looks nice at 1280x720. Nvidia control panel works, I'm sure catalyst can do the same.
January 16, 2009 1:02:52 AM

Display is easy. I got a DVI-HDMI adapter at Wal-Mart, hooked it up and am enjoying 32" of 1080P glory. Audio could be tricky, Im not sure if you have to run a wire from your sound card/chip to the GPU or if the 4xxx pulls it thru the PCI-E bus.
January 16, 2009 1:47:08 AM

ah for audio you just need to set the hdmi cable as your default speakers in the advance audio panel. running a 24 inch samsung with hdmi myself and a hd4870 with built in hdmi and i've seen no problems with it. to me its a bit sharper than dvi
January 16, 2009 2:42:03 AM

I'd actually forgo the included adapter. That's like one extra connection that could be a liability. For peace of mind, just get a DVI/HDMI cable (one end is DVI and one end is HDMI). And like someone mentioned, they're cheap at monoprice.com.

As for sound, DVI does not output sound unless you have a soundcard with an internal SPDIF connection that you can internally connect to your vid card.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2009 3:29:47 AM

kingtz said:
I'd actually forgo the included adapter. That's like one extra connection that could be a liability. For peace of mind, just get a DVI/HDMI cable (one end is DVI and one end is HDMI). And like someone mentioned, they're cheap at monoprice.com.

As for sound, DVI does not output sound unless you have a soundcard with an internal SPDIF connection that you can internally connect to your vid card.


The included adapter includes sound, while a generic one will not allow for sound. This is the reason I would go with the included adapter.
January 16, 2009 5:49:38 PM

I hooked up my 65" mets DLP HDTV to my game Machine and it worked great and looked great in 1920x1080P.
January 17, 2009 1:08:37 PM

Funny thing about this is i can only get half my sounds to goto the tv. I can get my windows sounds to the tv but the media payer sounds arent going to the tv. Wierd its the oposite way around that i wanted it to work and i cant seem to switch it. no matter what i do the media player sounds always go through my pc speakers but not my tv but all other sounds goto the tv.. :/ 

Kingtz must be using nvidia cards in which case his statment is somewhat true.

Anyways if anyone can help me with this small issue it would be great. I am using the secondary port on my video card doubt that is the issue but hey never know.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2009 9:25:29 PM

festerovic said:
check monoprice.com for cables. I got a 6' DVI > HDMI for $3.50, and plugged it straight into TV from a 8800GTS. Some TVs need to adjust the screen size or borders to fit the image (I have a 52" DLP) but it looks nice at 1280x720. Nvidia control panel works, I'm sure catalyst can do the same.


Hey ive got the problem of hooking my pc to my 26" samsung via HDMI cable (DVI/HDMI adapter). I have contantly got a border around the screen which is very annoying and wondered if u know how I can fix this. Im usign the Radeon 4670 graphics card.
Thanks
February 1, 2009 4:17:04 PM

Quote:
Hey ive got the problem of hooking my pc to my 26" samsung via HDMI cable (DVI/HDMI adapter). I have contantly got a border around the screen which is very annoying and wondered if u know how I can fix this. Im usign the Radeon 4670 graphics card.
Thanks

Set it to the native resolution, the problem should be solved (1366x768).
!