Sign in with
Your question

About to overclock a 1055t, verify things for me ?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 22, 2010 4:20:42 PM

Have not overclocked a cpu since the prime days of the 3800x2 and only tried 2.5 on it so i pretty much forgot most of it.
Reading only one guide i could find on overclocking the 1055t, i read basically all i need to do is leave the multiplier at 14 and raise the cpu bus frequency( should i just aim it for 3.6 ghz to begin and go from there), and my ddr3 will probably end at 1525 mhz. I dont want to get into raising voltage overstock yet.
Im using it with a msi890gx motherboard and hyper 212 plus and the following gskill ddr3 1600 memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ive read i should not push this cpu past 55 c and that programs like coretemp will read 20c below actual motherboard reading. Should i use that temp program and aim for no higher then 35c on it then. Any other recommendations ?
Also assuming i need to first before anything manually set ram timings and speed and go from there
Want to be prepared as i will have the last part of my system the ram available on Monday
May 23, 2010 5:44:07 AM

mltno said:
Ive read i should not push this cpu past 55 c and that programs like coretemp will read 20c below actual motherboard reading. Should i use that temp program and aim for no higher then 35c on it then.

could you provide a link to where you read this? I am having the same problem with my 1090T, my core-temps readings are lower than my ambient.
Related resources
May 23, 2010 4:13:03 PM

what ram do you have? I would leave ram alone first because its very likely to cause issues with stability if you add it to the mix. you want to make sure your CPU+MB is stable first before moving on to ram.

you can probably hit 3.6 without too much problem, given you pump in enough voltage, I have the 1090T and i managed to hit 4.2ghz @ 1.56v, i also bumped my north bridge to 2800mhz @ 1.3v, and left HT at 2000. anyways, OC is pretty straight forward, just have to trial-and-error many times before you get it right.

as for temps, I'd keep max load temp under 52c, it seems like core temp (or other temp reading utilities) are not showing the right temps for the Thuban, so id leave some head room in this case.
May 23, 2010 4:37:24 PM

Using the gskill listed above ddr3 1600, read my mb will probably default to 1333 and messed up timing that arent default. I will ignore those for now and up the fsb. Will try to keep voltage at stock for beginning. Going to probably follow the guide in that youtube video and go from there.
And more on the temp readings for these cpus, this was released by amd

2.10.1The Tctl Temperature Scale
Tctl is the processor temperature control value, used by the platform to control cooling systems. Tctl is accessi-
ble through SB-TSI and F3xA4[CurTmp]. Tctl is a non-physical temperature on an arbitrary scale measured in
degrees. It does not represent an actual physical temperature like die or case temperature. Instead, it specifies
the processor temperature relative to the point at which the system must supply the maximum cooling for the
processor’s specified maximum case temperature and maximum thermal power dissipation.

Reference: http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/31116.pdf

This is basically a persons summary (386DX) at anandtech forums about what that means

All these hardware temperature programs are reporting is just that the temperature the hardware sensor is putting out. Also note that there isn't a sensor for each core, there's actually only one sensor and its not even on the core itself but on the northbridge of the die. For Phenom CPU's its the Tctl temperature and not the "real" temperature. This is why you see Phenom people raving how low there "temperatures" are or that there idle temp is lower then ambient room temperature because its not. Until AMD releases information on how Tctl temperature relates to the real temperature for there CPUs nobody will really know the actually temperatures. The only thing we know is that if you hardware monitor gives you a reading of 52C on your X6 then its 10C from reaching its thermal limit and shutting down.

One last thing. The temperature readings for Intel Core and i CPU's are fairly accurate (at higher temps, not so much at low because the sensor can be off 5-10C at low temps). This is because Intel calculates there temperature differently and has disclosed all TJMax (max temp) value for there CPU's (Core max temp were disclosed at a previous IDF and max temp for i CPU's are stored in a register that can be read directly). So Intel CPU's will display the "real" core temperatures when you use your HW monitoring programs (as long as the program uses proper TJMax offsets for your CPU).

**Note some temperature monitoring program may offset there readings with the assumption that all CPU shuts down at 80C (or another arbitrary value)
!