285 GTX 3 way sli tested and reviewed

You know what we should do? We should go into business selling stickers. We could make G9xxx ones , and G100s ones, just slap em on your Geeforce, instant renemae without the hassle of actually having to buy a new one

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Don't go looking like fanboys guys;) lol:p

I'm impressed it has this much pull though, but seeing as I have mine running at 712 core I don;'t see myself steping up these ones:D

I just had to do that. In these tough economic times, itll be hard for nVidia to have or leave much of an impression in this particular Halo market, seeing that these cards come so late to the party. Good to see nVidia catching up tho, they needed 55nm in a bad way

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

its never too late. heck, ATI showed up late and it was impressive just the same. they are late in terms of people already bought video cards but there are still people with more money than sense.
let me know when you start your sticker company though. i will order up some 285 decal kits so i can say "look at me!" :)

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
all these cards out and nothing compelling for me to upgrade what i have. at least it keeps me from wasting money since i am not that impressed.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
No. I think I read somewhere that 20nm (or somewhere there) is basically "the end" as far as modern means go. Past that you wont even be able to see it, it would be too small to work with.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
so these 285s are supposed to be considerably cheaper than a 280 right?

edit: just finished reading it, tssssss, uber expensive. but packs a punch alright. better upgrade/wait for the next gen. i was hoping for an 8800gt version of the gtx200. near gtx performance for half the price.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
its called the 260 GTX:D you can find the old 1 for like 150 if you look hard enough:) I think thats less than half:D
:p

I'm still fixing my computer. I changed my motherboard, I'm never buying Asus (Nvidia chipset based) ever in my life....what a piece of poop the Asus Striker 2 formula was...no stable oc...and the southbridge melted onto the heatsync.

Anyways I ended up buyin evga:D Step up in 3 months and go i7 :D

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Why do they insist on using 32bit OS's? Anyone building a high end machine will more often than not choose a 64bit OS. Anyone else have an answer?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

err those are still the biggos, im waiting for the the smaller 55nm version.

nice cards (on your avatar) btw.

ITs really an OC'd 280GTX; at 280 GTX speeds, the card is identical (minus the die shrink).

That being said, the 285 seems cheaper than the 280 right now when I look online, so those of us who were waiting to step up now have a much cheaper option. (I was waiting for price drops before i ditched my GX2...)