P5Q pro BIOS, what do i need to know?

Mastikk

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Hi yall.
Im pretty new to overclocking, and some of the features on the p5Q pro BIOS are a tad wee bit confusing. Can anybody tell me what I should be looking out for? What I should change what I should leave alone. It just looks abit naff me leaving most of the options on AUTO :p .
Many thanks in advance.

Mastikk

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

Thanks dude, thats really helped getting my voltages down. A few things still bug me though, and everone seems to have a different opinion :O.
Any idea where I can find what these are? I hate leaving them on auto

C1E Suport
Execute Data bit
DRAM Static Read
DRAM Read Training
Mem OC CHarger
AI CLock Twister
AI Transaction booster
CPU GTL Reference
CPU PLL Voltager
CPU Clock Skew
North Bridge Clock Skew
CPU Margin Enhancement
Memory Remap Feature
Memory Hole

Soz to be a numpty n trouble yall :p

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Honestly those are ok on auto, your not doing an extreme overclock. If you want to tweak them you will need to read more about overclocking, and your motherboards manual in particular.

floored

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
C1E Support if i remember right stops the chip from changing multipliers the rest are easily googled.
Your pro should be really easy to oc for the most part set everything too auto and start raising the fsb. mine goes from 200 fsb to 500fsb with out any special settings. Most of them will start getting unstable around 490 fsb and few will do very far over 500 with a quads anyways i dunno about dual cores.

pretty good boards really. :)

one more thing the northbridge cooler isnt that great just run prime 95 for a while and then touch it i picked up a 40mm fan from newegg and screwed it on to the cooler it helped alot both with gettin a higher fsb and a more stable oc.

Mastikk

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
excellent stuff. ill have a look for a descent one with a fan or something. what sort of voltages is your nb running at?

floored

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
the only thing with a nb fan is too make sure that it will go under whatever cpu heatsink u choose i have a true ultra 120 and my nb fan bumps up against it but its still mountable.

at the moment my nb is at 1.22 and cpu at 1.15625 im at 3.6ghz 400x9.
p5q pro
q9650
4GB gskill ddr2 1066
win 7 64 bit
msi 260gtx

if your not too leary of trying someone elses custom bios check out this old thread its still active i think and you can find some really good bios es for over clocking just about anything in the p5q series.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200109

one more thing if your boards anything like mine play around with front side bus strap youll find some real sweetspots there between memory and cpu. :)
on my board a fsb strap of 266 really gives the best all around performance memory/cpu.

Lithocardia

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
disable CE1 while ocing CPU and once stable, try it enabled.
enable execute data bit (and memory remap feature if you have more than 2gb ram)

I'd love to know about the others myself.

Mastikk

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

Thanks. All stable with features on. Im gona leave the OCing for now, Because im upgrading to the Xeon X3770 and PSU to the 1250W Enermax Revolution85.
I wish that manufacturers would do a better job of explaining the BIOS features in the BIOS.