Dec 23, 2008
... is very much appreciated :)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: Corsair 4096Mb DDR2 PC6400 Matched pair CL4
MOB: Asus P5Q
GPU: Asus EAH4670/DI/512M
PSU: Coolermaster Real Power M 520W Modular
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 16MB SATA ST3320613AS

this all will have to fit in a Coolermaster 690 Black case, using Windows XP Home SP3. I will have the e8400 overclocked to 400MHz FSB to get it 1:1 with the RAM.

I do a lot of audio recording and photo/video editing, and I am not a gamer. I need a fast, stable and silent PC (like who doesn't :sarcastic: ). This is going to cost me 565 euros (788 dollars).

Will this system suit my needs? Do you think you have a better choice for one or more of these parts?

Thanks for reading,

Greets Rowan. :bounce:

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Audio recording? Add a Creative X-Fi sound card to that and you're set. Look for the pro series. (Updated drivers from Creative released a several days ago for those with Creative sound cards.)

Consider a quad-core (Q6600) for video editing.

Are you sure you don't need more space? A WD6400AAKS is about $75 and will hold 2x the space that Barracuda will. Also consider TB storage, as HHD prices have plummeted recently.
Western Digital WD6400AAKS

For a quieter computer case, Antec makes P180s and P182s which help dampen unwanted computer noise. Otherwise, great choice on a computer case.
Depending if the stock Intel reference cooler is loud to you, consider buying the quieter AC Freezer 7 Pro. I've seen it on sale for $20 on Newegg before which is a deal.

I'm not sure that Coolermaster power supply is very reliable. There are more reliable brands like Antec, PC Power & Cooling, and Corsair.

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Haha, thanks for your quick replies everyone! And thanks a lot for the detailed suggestions pcgamer!

I am going to check out the suggestions and parts you mentioned and report back! Oh and I forgot to mention I already own a M-Audio Delta 1010lt for my audio needs, but thanks anyway.

I do have to say my budget is pretty tight, and exceeding 800 dollars will be a problem for me.

Greets.

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
The Antec computer cases should indeed be a lot more stable/quiet, too bad I don't have that kind of money. :( That AC Freezer 7 Pro definately looks like a good option, and it would make sense since I'm overclocking the 8400 a bit... I will remind this one if the stock cooler is too noisy for my taste thanks.

About Cooler Master, I actually thought they were the reliable brand as I read some fairly good reviews about it, but I could take a look at Corsair. Too bad Antec / PC Power & Cooling are not available at the store I'm buying from (I'm from the Netherlands btw, so that means newegg is not an option for me right?).

Thanks a lot.

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Okay, I did some more research and came to the conclusion Corsair is a much better option when looking at quality psu's compared to Cooler Master. I am glad my local store has Corsair psu's and decided to go for this one: Corsair 520w ATX

BTW I wish to edit my post, but it seems I am unable to do so, why is this? :)

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
That's good to hear, I guess psu's should never be the part of your system to save money on!

I have exceeded my budget a bit, but that's what budgets are for right ;) I thank you all for your replies.

Greets Rowan.

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Just wanted to add that I switched the Seagate Barracuda 320GB for a Western Digital 640GB 16MB SATA II WD6400AAKS. I could definately benefit from so much storage space for that price, and after a bit of research it should be a lot more reliable than the 7200.11 barracuda.

And if the tempatures get too high when I raise the FSB of the e8400 to 400, I'll change the stock cooler for the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro cooler, seems like a very good deal and read a lot of good reviews about it (though could be difficult to install on a P5Q?).

I'm adding a second HDD in the future dedicated to recording audio, probably just a small one (80GB).

My new build:

Asus P5Q
Corsair 4096Mb DDR2 PC6400 Matched pair CL4
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Asus EAH4670/DI/512M
Western Digital 640GB 16MB SATA II WD6400AAKS
Corsair 520W ATX
Coolermaster 690 Black case

Nothing too fancy, but I'm proud, can't wait to start building it :love: !