Converting a 2nd drive to NTFS from FAT32

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NTFS
  • FAT32
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2010 10:31:39 AM

I recently noticed that my primary drive (NTFS, Win 7 64-bit) is nearing max capacity - however Steam, which I use to buy many games is starting to add up with the size of all the games I own (10 GB here, 8 GB there, etc) and I need to use my dual boot drive (Windows XP Pro 32-bit, FAT32) for storage - or rather more storage as I'm already doing that now to an extent. Now I'm not asking how to setup Steam and do all that, I got that down (Involves tricking the drive into thinking it's on my main drive when it's stored on the other) - my question is about how well multiple drives work when formatted in NTFS. I was reading something about how operating systems do not like to read drives that are formatted in NTFS, so if I run Convert.exe (Which will not wipe all the drive's data will it?) to take it from FAT32 to NTFS will it still show up under My Computer? I've never put any thought at all into the file systems used by my drives, but NTFS would be preferrable on the second drive. I didn't know if the fact Windows XP is still installed on the drive would matter either, I just want clarification before I convert it and then it disappears and I turn my second drive "invisible".

Additionally, will converting the drive from FAT32 to NTFS from within Windows 7 affect the function of Windows XP on the other drive? I haven't used it in a long time, but I like to retain it as a failsafe should my Windows 7 installation conk out so I could still access the drive and save vital files before having to format/reinstall.

More about : converting 2nd drive ntfs fat32

a b G Storage
June 14, 2010 12:42:44 PM

I've never heard of a computer not liking multiple drives in NTFS. I've used desktops and servers with multiple NTFS drives. convert does not wipe data (that I know of), but you should back up your data first.

for the 2nd part of your question, see this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1249-63-ntfs-win7-win...
m
l
a b G Storage
June 14, 2010 1:01:13 PM

Since you are using a dual boot machine I would just keep the fat32 file system on that drive. NTSF offers files larger then 4gb and more security is that what you need?
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 8:40:45 PM

anonymous1 said:
Since you are using a dual boot machine I would just keep the fat32 file system on that drive. NTSF offers files larger then 4gb and more security is that what you need?

Honestly, no - but since Steam does not allow you to redirect your games (Like asking "Which directory do you want to install in?") it puts them all on my main drive. The trick I found requires dragging the files over to the other hard drive (Which must be NTFS formatted for this to work) and then changing a line in the code on Steam or the game (I forget which) and then even though all the content is on the other hard drive it treats it just as though it were on the main drive.

A rather involving process for what should be something easily remedied - you should be able to select the directory to install the games into but alas Steam doesn't work that way.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 14, 2010 11:02:53 PM

can you uninstall steam & install it on the other drive? I think I had my kid install steam on our f drive, and the games go there
m
l
June 15, 2010 12:59:31 AM

gtvr said:
can you uninstall steam & install it on the other drive? I think I had my kid install steam on our f drive, and the games go there

Well, here's the thing - my main drive is a 500 GB drive, the other one is a 320 GB drive. Slowly but surely Steam is eating up what's left (I still have 97 GB free but I know it won't be long before that's gone too). I'd have to redownload all the games and since I have probably 150 GB worth or so that would take inconceivably long.
m
l
!