Sign in with
Your question

My xp shuts down a few minutes after accessing a ghost dos clone operation on fl

Last response: in Windows XP
May 28, 2011 7:23:00 PM

I am attempting to clone a laptop hard drive to another laptop hard drive using ghost 2003 dos with a desktop computer. I had used this method once before about 9 months ago on the same computer with no issues. On this try, my xp shuts down a few minutes after accessing the ghost dos application on floppy disk (I do not even get to start the clone). It is definitely connected to using the floppy and not the two laptop hard drives. I tested by disconnecting the laptop hard drives. The shutdon will occur as long as the computer boots to the floppy. I created a new disk and experienced the same problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Casey
May 28, 2011 7:52:54 PM

Care to download a better program that runs in Windows with a GUI?

I have an image file posted at 4Shared.com that makes your task much easier. It will do a drive-to-drive copy or partition-to-partition or folder-to-folder etc, including drive initialization (Partitions, formatting etc.)

For your project, you would click the "Utilities" button and go from there.

It is about 19 MB but well worth the time to download.
Burn ISO image to CD and it will auto-run to allow installing the program, or, it can be booted.

Click
HERE

Edit: The filename at 4Shared.com is "Hitachi" and shows it was posted by me.
m
l
May 28, 2011 10:59:05 PM

Use Parted Magic... you can create a bootable CD or DVD with the ISO image.
m
l
June 8, 2011 1:41:27 PM

mcasey_54 said:
I am attempting to clone a laptop hard drive to another laptop hard drive using ghost 2003 dos with a desktop computer. I had used this method once before about 9 months ago on the same computer with no issues. On this try, my xp shuts down a few minutes after accessing the ghost dos application on floppy disk (I do not even get to start the clone). It is definitely connected to using the floppy and not the two laptop hard drives. I tested by disconnecting the laptop hard drives. The shutdon will occur as long as the computer boots to the floppy. I created a new disk and experienced the same problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Casey

Sorry.
Problem solved. I purchased a copy of Acronis True Image 2009 and it worked like a charm.
Thanks,
Mike Casey
m
l
!