Partitions and Performance question

ShayneBerry

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hi,

My PC is for audio post-production.

If I partition a 1TB hard drive as follows (third drive in PC [f]):

Primary Partition: 250GB as Projects
Secondary Partition 750GB for Back Ups (of the other 2 drives).

As the second partition fills up with "one a month" back-ups of ghost images, and document back-up. Would the performance of the primary partition be affected during projects?

My set-up is:

1. (c) system and programs 1TB
2. (e) data and documents 750GB
3. (f) projects 250GB primary partition, (g) back ups and images 750GB secondary partition.

Having the programs, data, and projects all on different drives does increase performance. I also want to do regular back-ups of (C) and (E). (Projects do not need backing up).

The partition is to hopefully avoid adding a fourth hard drive to the set-up.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Shayne

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
"As the second partition fills up with "one a month" back-ups of ghost images, and document back-up. Would the performance of the primary partition be affected during projects? "

No, it should have no effect. Fragmentation and related issues are the only real performance cost of a drive filling up, and the separate partition mitigates that. Head travel isn't an issue because you're not doing the backup or otherwise using it while you do your audio work.

Could be worth considering an external backup for other reasons though, but that's not directly related.