Asus pt6 Deluxe issues

jaslgv

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Hello All! Hoping you can help here....about to jump off a cliff.

I am building a new PC and its not been fun, first here are my parts:

Asus p6 Deluxe
Intel Core i7
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 R
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850

So - I am trying to install Vista 64 bit - and it takes FOREVER to install - so I know something is not right. Takes about 1.5 hours to load the OS. Then when I install the motherboard software it takes much longer then it should.

Then I go to install the video drivers and the system will cut off in the middle. It just dies or blue screens. Then I need to go into safe mode and roll back.

Couple of things I have done:

- Tried to install without a RAID (I really want the raid but tried to see if that was the problem)
- I tried a new video card - an nvida card but it does the same thing.
- I loaded windows 7 and it seems to be a bit more stable but it did die on the video card install. I was able to update it afterwards and it works.

So - I really want to get this system setup but things don't seem right and I can't get a video card installed on vista 64 - which I need of course.

Not sure if its a memory setting - compatabilty issue or what...any help would be great!!

Thanks

mahiney

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
if i were you i'd start with a simple graphics card, then try to install OS, then get the drivers in for the Radeon.
next option would be to start from scratch, take the whole thing apart & build again, carefully, otherwise i'd RMA (return) the board, the OS should not at all take that long on this system component configuration

you're right - something's not right, if you can get a different board/memory/ or card you're gonna know at least that much