Sign in with
Your question

A "RAID" Question ?

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2010 11:54:14 AM

As seen in the picture, can I build a RAID system with certain amounts of the HDDs and use the remaning capacities as non-RAID array ?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : raid question

June 14, 2010 5:58:26 PM

I personally don't really think that's possible, because when you first build a RAID array, you have to either mirror or stripe the whole hard drive. When it does this, I think it completely clears the HDD and ignores partitions. I could be wrong, though, and that's using hardware RAID. I still doubt it's possible, but you'll have to wait for someone a little more storage-savvy to come along and give you a little more detail on it. :??: 
a c 415 G Storage
June 14, 2010 7:47:41 PM

Whether or not you can do this is entirely dependent on what RAID hardware/software you're using. I believe the Intel RAID drivers that are used with the ICHxx chipset-based RAID are capable of doing this.

I assume you're thinking of putting the OS into the RAID-0 portion. Personally, I'd stay away from it because the performance will be compromised by having the other non-RAID partitions and because if you loose one drive it's going to be quite tricky getting the data off the non-RAID portion of the other drive. Make sure you have good backups.
Related resources
June 15, 2010 6:30:58 AM

someguynamedmatt said:
I personally don't really think that's possible, because when you first build a RAID array, you have to either mirror or stripe the whole hard drive. When it does this, I think it completely clears the HDD and ignores partitions. I could be wrong, though, and that's using hardware RAID. I still doubt it's possible, but you'll have to wait for someone a little more storage-savvy to come along and give you a little more detail on it. :??: 

June 15, 2010 6:36:06 AM

sminlal said:
Whether or not you can do this is entirely dependent on what RAID hardware/software you're using. I believe the Intel RAID drivers that are used with the ICHxx chipset-based RAID are capable of doing this.

I assume you're thinking of putting the OS into the RAID-0 portion. Personally, I'd stay away from it because the performance will be compromised by having the other non-RAID partitions and because if you loose one drive it's going to be quite tricky getting the data off the non-RAID portion of the other drive. Make sure you have good backups.

My motherboard MSI DKA790GX Platinum. NB790GX/SBSB750. I think it is impossible for me to build this kind of RAID. Thanks.
!