GA-EX85-UD5 and windows event log

march10k

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
This is more of a curiousity and an annoyance than anything, it hasn't caused real problems. When I let my computer sit long enough to hibernate, I get a message when I wake her back up that says that the windows event log unexpectedly quit, has restarted, and do I want to look for a solution? I've gotten so used to it that I minimized the message instead of closing it, just so it won't pop up a fresh copy next time, but is there a way to keep the event log from crashing when the computer idles out, or even just a way to disable the alert?

bilbat

Splendid
Assuming Vista or Win7:
Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
It's near the bottom - "Windows Event Log" - double-click on it, click 'stop', set 'startup type' to 'Disabled'

qhorque

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Bilbat's solution will shut off the Event Log completely which will prevent you from capturing any errors or information at all which may not be that good an idea. I use the Event Log to debug conflicts with hardware and software as well as Windows such that, after tweaking, the only thing I see in the Event Log are *intended* informational messages. No errors at all. That's a good thing.

Instead of shutting down the Event Log completely, you may want to delve a bit deeper into the cause/solution. When the computer hibernates, it shouldn't tell you that the Event Log has quit unexpectedly as hibernation is a known process that Windows (and Event Log) should be able to handle correctly. In this case, the PC appears to enter hibernation before all of its pre-hibernation "bookkeeping is done thus creating the annoying pop up info.

Go into the Event Log and see if you can find an item at the time the computer enters hibernation. There may be a specific error occurring that is the source of your problem. We'll go from there.

I just ran an experiment on my computer and initiated hibernation manually and no messages popped up when I restarted nor did any errors show up in the Event Log.

See if you can give us more information and we'll work this out.

bilbat

Splendid
ghorque is right, disabling event logging is kind of a 'catch-22' kludge, but god knows I've oftentimes done worse, just to get rid of nagging associated with a problem I'm well aware exists, but don't (due to time or trouble involved) want to deal with right now. I'm currently cutting everything out of %Windows%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs to a temp on D: and back, just to get around a known problem with win7 updating ("All Programs" link in start menu is empty) that surfaced after (against all recommendations) updating from 7068 > 7077 > 7100, until I can finish planning to get my TechNet RC1 in while sidestepping all the 'gotchas' inherent in using a boot loader and Ubuntu on a three RAID (and, of course, not all the same flavor of RAID) system...

The catch-22 is that, as ghorque pointed out, the event logger is probably the main tool you'll want to find out why the event logger is breaking. It's kind of like my exhortation to everyone with booting grief to get a case speaker - it's often the only clue you'll get; it (the event log) is especially useful for troubleshooting driver problems - they're usually stealthy, and don't announce their screw-ups anywhere else...

march10k

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Sorry, guys, I lost this thread and just found it. It also shuts down all sound (it's not muted, the service is shut off). That at least is easy to turn back on....but I wish it wouldn't do it in the first place. I'll take a look at the log.

TRENDING THREADS