An unhandled win32 exception occured in ___.exe [xxxx]

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello and firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am getting the following error while attempting to play GTA IV

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

An unhandled win32 exception occured in GTAIV.exe [xxxx]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time

Check the documentation index for 'Just-In-Time debugging, errors' for more information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GTA IV always used to worked perfectly.

The only thing that is different is that I have changed my graphics card from Radeon HD4670 to HD3870.

Everything remained to work fine including crysis and GRID and the performance.

However, when I came to play GTA IV today (first time since graphics card change), it gave me that error:

Re-installing the game makes no difference. I have also tried searching in google and realised it is a general error always relating to a different .exe which is why i posted in the general XP section and not game section. I tried installing visual studio and enabling just-in-time but i dont even know what it is and just-in-time wasn't even there anyway. I have no clue as to what to do and it's extremely annoying. If someone has the answer or solution it would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

my computer:
athlon 64 X2 2.8Ghz dual core
Radeon HD 3870
OCZ 800Mhz 3GB RAM
Western Digital 500GB HD

thanks. Rob.

Did you update the GPU driver? It is not entirely uncommon for older drivers to work better than their newer cousins. In my case, I had to revert to the older Nvidia (I know yours is AMD) driver. Worth a try.

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
it happened after changing gpu and so i updated to the next driver which was the latest and same thing. Do you have any idea what the error means?

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
ive tried to read lots of info on the web and I dont understand a lot of the stuff anyone is talking about. However I did reset dr watson by typing drwtsn32 -i

The error code didnt appear but instead, a new error just saying GTAIV has encountered an error and needs to close. I searched google using the error name, version, mod file, bla bla, not actually sure what it was but found that I should re install Games for Windows Live. I did this and problem solved, game now works fine.

Thanks so much for the help and the time