Sign in with
Your question

An unhandled win32 exception occured in ___.exe [xxxx]

Last response: in Windows XP
May 28, 2011 11:42:13 PM

Hello and firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am getting the following error while attempting to play GTA IV

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

An unhandled win32 exception occured in GTAIV.exe [xxxx]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time

Check the documentation index for 'Just-In-Time debugging, errors' for more information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GTA IV always used to worked perfectly.

The only thing that is different is that I have changed my graphics card from Radeon HD4670 to HD3870.

Everything remained to work fine including crysis and GRID and the performance.

However, when I came to play GTA IV today (first time since graphics card change), it gave me that error:

Re-installing the game makes no difference. I have also tried searching in google and realised it is a general error always relating to a different .exe which is why i posted in the general XP section and not game section. I tried installing visual studio and enabling just-in-time but i dont even know what it is and just-in-time wasn't even there anyway. I have no clue as to what to do and it's extremely annoying. If someone has the answer or solution it would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

my computer:
athlon 64 X2 2.8Ghz dual core
Radeon HD 3870
OCZ 800Mhz 3GB RAM
Western Digital 500GB HD

thanks. Rob.
May 30, 2011 12:04:03 AM

Did you update the GPU driver? It is not entirely uncommon for older drivers to work better than their newer cousins. In my case, I had to revert to the older Nvidia (I know yours is AMD) driver. Worth a try.
June 5, 2011 2:03:31 PM

it happened after changing gpu and so i updated to the next driver which was the latest and same thing. Do you have any idea what the error means?
Related resources
June 10, 2011 11:59:17 PM

ive tried to read lots of info on the web and I dont understand a lot of the stuff anyone is talking about. However I did reset dr watson by typing drwtsn32 -i

The error code didnt appear but instead, a new error just saying GTAIV has encountered an error and needs to close. I searched google using the error name, version, mod file, bla bla, not actually sure what it was but found that I should re install Games for Windows Live. I did this and problem solved, game now works fine.

Thanks so much for the help and the time
!