Intel X25-M G2 80gb vs OCZ vertex 2 60gb HELP!!! ASAP

alricking113

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
HI guys,
I an torn between this two Intel X25-M G2 80gb vs OCZ vertex 2 60gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016&cm_re=Intel_X25-M_Mainstream-_-20-167-016-_-Product

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/deepsearch_v3.asp?scriteria=OCZ+OCZSSD2+2VTXE60G+Vertex&ALL=y&TP=

My friend is offering me $140 for the Intel x25-M G2 80, but Mwave.com selling OCZ vertex 2 60gb for $169.99

From the look of it, the Intel has more storage, and is little slower in "read" and significantly slower in "write" speed..

OCZ way better write speed, and little higher read speed..but problem is its only 60gb..

WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND?? I will be using SDD for window 7 x64 bit, applications.. and some games like Left 4 dead 2 and a few more....THANKS anything would help me make a better choice...

Omniblivion

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Intel x25 for sure, especially if it's new (and unused) for $140. If it's used, I'd personally stay away from it and go for the Vertex.

The difference between the two in games and OS will be marginally (barely) noticable at best- it's just a matter of space (intel!).

Give me your friends e-mail, and I'll buy it! ;) Else go with the Intel! That a GR8 deal!

All you want to do it wipe the drive before you install the OS to it. I think "Wiper" is a utility ot do this, or "HDDErase."

Set up may be complicated to get these programs to run (i.e. download, burn a bootable CD, copy the program to the CD, etc. A flash fdrive might work.)

But, are you running Windows 7? TRIM is a feature in WIndows 7 that helps the drive self optimize. There are lots of theard in here you can read about TRIM & SSD.

Please, what is his address? :sarcastic:

alricking113

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

FOSCOOTER, seeem like you have SSD too w/ experience.. what you think.. is 60gb should be able to handle operating system, applications like anti virus, afew other stuffz, and like 3-5 games and still with more room to spare..?

Omniblivion

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I currently have the Vertex 2 and it's big enough to handle my OS and about 3 moderately sized games. The SSD should be able to hold l4d2 and bbc2; most likely AoC but i'm not sure how much space that takes up (seeing as WoW can take upwards of 20+gigs).

You want to be careful buying used SSDs, because they have a much more limited write life than HDDs (meaning that if your friend used that drive a lot, it will die a lot quicker than a new one).

alricking113

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Hey, help me out with this.. I am planning to get this motherboard..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16813130226

Would this motherboard support the speed SATA II without bottlenecking it on that SSD OCZ verterx 2 ?

ALSO, I am planning to get these Corsair 3x2gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=20-145-286&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=2

Would these ram works for this motherboard..?? THANKS FOR THE HELP>>

You betcha! About the motherboard.

SSD can come close to the SATA II bandwidth of 3.0Gbps, more so than a HDD! There are some benchmarks posted here, sub mesa showing his X25-M 80GB, and me showing my 2xX25-40GB in RAID 0. But don't go with a SSD in RAID unless you really now what you are doing!

As far as the memory, you'll have to check the motherboard manufacter website (or manual) for RAM compatibilty.

My SSD total 80GB in size, but I'm only partitioned as 64GB (for RAID reasons), but I don't know how much I am using. I do not have any games, only Win7 Home, Office 2007, Quicken, Norton (from Comcast), iTunes, and some other misc. downloads. I'll post my usage later. See **Edit**

One thing to remember, once the OS and programs are installed, you really don't write to the drive much. That's where read rate really come into play. Yes, Intel has a slower write, but reads "blow them all away."

Also, you can just install the OS and programs to the SSD, and install Games to a second HDD (like the one you are currently using), if space is limited. Studies have shown that SSDs really don't help in Games. I take that with a grain of salt. My programs (i.e. Quicken, Excel, Outlook) load super fast!

Good Luck. Let me know whatcha doin'. ;)

**Edit**

My C: Drive has only 21.4GB used, 38.5GB FREE (and 16GB unused/unallocated, due to my setup).

Omniblivion

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Those are both decent, but you could probably go with a gigabyte board and G.Skill PI ram- would be a bit better quality for about the same price. Check out the HomeBuilt section of the forums for more advice on those (I'm at work right now >.<)