Sign in with
Your question

Need help Installing Windows 7 on homebuilt computer.

Tags:
  • Download
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • Homebuilt
Last response: in Windows 7
September 13, 2011 3:19:10 AM

Hello guys,

I am currently building my own computer setup and I am going to be using Windows 7 OS. As part of my university fee I am entitled to a download of Windows 7 Home version. My question is can I transfer this download to an external device or disc and install it on the new PC?

Alternatively I believe I will receive a product key with this download, would I be able to use a previously used Windows 7 disc and enter the new product key?

I am already on a tight budget, and would prefer to not have to buy Windows 7 again. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

More about : installing windows homebuilt computer

a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 3:28:46 AM

THe download should work fine -- just burn it to a bootable DVD or thumbdrive - Install to the new system - enter the product key included with the download and activate it once you have it installed ( whether it would work installing from a previously used media would depend on if it is the same version media (ie. Retail or specific OEM version and correct version (home Basic, Premium, Professional, Ultimate) Since the different products use different keys and the downloaded student\academic versions probably have their own keys.
a c 257 $ Windows 7
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 3:29:52 AM

Yes, you can copy to an external device. Yes, you can use existing media and your new product key, as long as the versions match. Looks like you are good to go.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 3:39:58 AM

Alternatively I believe I will receive a product key with this download, would I be able to use a previously used Windows 7 disc and enter the new product key?

No , each product key is specific to the windows disk it comes with and one activation is alowed afer that you have to call the automated line if you change hdd or MB.
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 3:49:35 AM

inzone said:

No , each product key is specific to the windows disk it comes with and one activation is allowed afer that you have to call the automated line if you change hdd or MB.

Actually the key will work with any disk that is the same version of windows (ie. from the same OEM if OEM version and same product (basic, home, professional, ultimate) -- they mass duplicate the disks and do not link each disk that is made to one specific key.
!