CPU for Asus P6T6

sychro

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I am having trouble installing my CPU into this motherboard. I bought the Intel Core i7 920 for it. It fits in the slot but I am not sure where to go from here. Am I supposed to push the chip into the slot so that it clicks or something? The chip will rest right on it but I'm not sure if that is all I have to do or not. The arm will not shut easily which makes me concerned and I sure as hell do not want to damage the chip. I tried fitting the chip into the slot but I could not get it to fit really snug. Can someone let me know if I'm being a moron or can someone let me know what to do? This is my first build so ths is why this may sound stupid. Thanks.

mi1ez

Splendid
there will always be a little force to pull the arm down but it shouldn't be too much. Do you know anyone else who's built in the past can take a look at it for you? Not really something we can do by text or photos...

Mondoman

Splendid
As shown in the pictures in the manual, the metal cut-out-square thingy presses down on the edges of the CPU; it in turn gets held down by the lever. If the CPU is loose once the lever is locked down, you've made some sort of mistake.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Rest the CPU into the slot, let the arm and cover push it into place. It's normal for the arm to bend slightly because it applies quite a bit of force to keep the CPU in place, imagine the spasm your comp would have if the CPU were to shift and a contact was broken... ;)

If you think that was an unnerving amount of force, wait until you go to put on your pushpin cooler ^_^