Code 32 DVDRW Drive

vegatdm

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I built a computer about a month ago. It was working fine until all the the sudden the Optical drive just stopped working. And by stopped working I mean it just disappeared. Upon inspection I found this.

n4cilu.jpg

hs6sg2.jpg

Did dome googling and found no info on how to fix it. I found out that it shows up in BIOS normally. I've tried uninstalling, when it tries to auto install it tells me it fails. I've tried cleaning temp files and registry. I've even tried different SATA ports and nothing seems to help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151188

Is the exact drive I have. Looked on Samsung's site and found no recommended drivers.

How do I fix this?

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
There are a couple of different possibilities and I've seen this issue happen a couple of times. The first thing I would try is a registry fix that might be your solution. Be patient because there are a few things that can cause this issue. Lets start off by removing your Upper and Lower Filters. (This is going to require you to be configuring the Windows registry. Do not change anything unless instructed as you can completely ruin your operating system if you don't know what you're doing. If you don't feel comfortable attempting these steps then don't.)

1)Close all open programs
2)Press the Windows Key + R
3)Type REGEDIT and press enter
4)Click on the plus signs (+) Next to the following folders

*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
*SYSTEM
*CurrentControlSet
*Control
*Class

5)Select the following Registry folder:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for the following names in the right hand column.
*UpperFilters
*LowerFilters
*UpperFilters.bak
*LowerFilters.bak

If any of the above keys exist, Delete them. After deleting them close the registry editor and reboot your computer. See if this has fixed your issue.