Sign in with
Your question

New External HDD screwing up

Last response: in Components
March 20, 2009 12:50:00 PM

Hi, I recently bought a Buffalo 500GB USB external hard drive.

I'm running vista and have been using it for about 3 weeks no problems. However, out of nowhere during start up Vista alerted me that CHKDSK should be run on the drive.

It said "corrupted master file table windows will attempt to recover the file from the disk".... Then after about a minute it said something along the lines of: unable to recover MFT table.

I have tried replacing the USB cable.

Drive is showing in My Computer but without proper label and whenever I try to access it, it says I need to format the drive.

I have installed Easy Recovery Professional but I am wondering what the best course of action is. I have run both the full and basic disk diagnostic tests which both report no problems with the drive.

Using advanced recovery only shows me files that have been deleted. Should I format the drive and use 'Format Recovery'?

More about : external hdd screwing

March 20, 2009 1:13:29 PM

As Vista seems to have corrupted the Master File Table(MFT) there may well be nothing wrong with the drive hardware, it's a software problem. Either format the drive and restore data from your backup location, or look for better data recovery software if you DO need to recover data.

Mike.
Related resources
!