Sign in with
Your question

AMD Deneb 940 Price Hike: 30$ in 2 Days!

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2009 2:26:51 PM

30$ in 2 days! No thank you, I'll stick with Intel. I was just about to purchase my first AMD cpu in 5 years. The Deneb 940 was 194$ at newegg just 2 days ago. Now it is 225$.

Forget that.

a c 115 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 20, 2009 2:28:20 PM

Troll, much ?
March 20, 2009 2:37:15 PM

Wisecracker said:
Troll, much ?

No. Although venting anger about a sudden price hike may not be kosher with the rules, it is far from constituting trolling. I happen to think it's a quite appropriate post for a CPU forum.
Related resources
a c 115 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 20, 2009 2:53:46 PM

papazulu said:
No. Although venting anger about a sudden price hike may not be kosher with the rules, it is far from constituting trolling. I happen to think it's a quite appropriate post for a CPU forum.

Since you may save $20 to $80 on a combo deal with the PhII 940, or purchase a Phenom II 720 BE combo deal, you don't really have a point, do you?
March 20, 2009 2:59:57 PM

Id say just dont buy from the egg, since the hikes arent from AMD anyways, if you want to take it out on someone/thing
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2009 4:17:42 PM

Goes to show that everyone wants it? *shrug* it's what I'd go for if I was building atm. (can't afford i7!)
March 20, 2009 4:20:13 PM

papazulu said:
30$ in 2 days! No thank you, I'll stick with Intel. I was just about to purchase my first AMD cpu in 5 years. The Deneb 940 was 194$ at newegg just 2 days ago. Now it is 225$.

Forget that.

Welcome the capitalistic, American principle of business called supply and demand. :lol: 
March 20, 2009 4:45:32 PM

Even with a $30 increase it still seems better value than the Intel equivalent to me.

And anyway since this is a newegg increase and not an AMD increase it does make it look very much like you are simply an Intel fanboy just trying to find any excuse to have a digg at AMD.
If you are going to say anything bad about any company at least make an effort and come up with something concrete.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2009 7:48:43 PM

mi1ez said:
Goes to show that everyone wants it? *shrug* it's what I'd go for if I was building atm. (can't afford i7!)

Hmm, did you see THIS article?

Quote:
A few weeks later, we have X58 motherboards selling for $170 with rebates, a new i7 processor stepping (D0) coming from Intel that promises a little extra headroom in clock rates, and 6GB DDR3 kits selling for around $90. The entry cost to get into an i7 platform has dropped about 34% in the last six weeks if you are pinching pennies like most of us. Guess what, the performance difference in platform selections then and now is less than 2% at best. Only those who plan on serious overclocking need to worry about spending more, but that is always the case.

Another factor in dropping prices is the rise from ashes act that AMD has accomplished with the Phenom II product line. True, it is not in the same performance category as the i7 when it comes to crunching numbers or heavy manipulation of digital content, but the Phenom II is extremely competitive on a price/performance basis when looking at the big picture. Pairing up the current Phenom II X3 720BE with either a DDR2/DDR3 based 790FX/GX motherboard results in some of the best bang for the buck performance you are likely to experience this year, at least until the new X4 95x series comes out.

Of course, Intel has the P55 platform launching later this year and we mention that because DDR3 will soon become the memory of choice for anyone upgrading to a new platform. The Phenom II platform lets you retain your current DDR2 based AM2+ setup until you decide to make the switch and we will soon see that is not a bad option from an everyday performance or cost viewpoint. However, those who need the absolute best performance from the Phenom II should go the DDR3 route at this point.

As was predicted, the entry-level i7 system cost is dropping quickly, so what many people assumed a couple months ago no longer holds.

Just an FYI in case you didn't see it yet..
March 20, 2009 8:06:28 PM

That's funny, because the price of the chip in question has gone down from $239 to $224.99 within the past week:

X4 940 / 3.00GHz Socket AM2+ 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) $224.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/catego...

Compared to Intel's Core i7 @ $1080, the Phenom II is a better deal.

Intel fanbois feel threatened with all that's going on in the chip biz and now their casting more lies.

March 20, 2009 8:25:58 PM

Isnt it just as predictable that the P2's will also see a price reduction? i7 came first, and can enjoy the first meaningful drops, but as time goes along, I believe well see these on P2 as well, keeping the gap the same
March 20, 2009 10:51:57 PM

Wisecracker said:
Since you may save $20 to $80 on a combo deal with the PhII 940, or purchase a Phenom II 720 BE combo deal, you don't really have a point, do you?

Actually its your point that holds no ground if he dosent want the combo deal.
March 20, 2009 10:54:11 PM

As far as the price goes, its still good for what it can deliver. But with the i7 920 only $50 more, you have to start questioning yourself. And lets not start in with that lameass "mobo/ddr3 cost" debate. Lets keep this CPU.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2009 11:09:26 PM

I was looking at buying the 940 a few days ago as well. You might want to mention that it was on sale on newegg at the time. They didn't just increase the price, the sale just ended.
March 20, 2009 11:10:32 PM

So find another retailer.

Even at 230 it's a killer deal.
a c 115 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 20, 2009 11:14:08 PM

spathotan said:
As far as the price goes, its still good for what it can deliver. But with the i7 920 only $50 more, you have to start questioning yourself. And lets not start in with that lameass "mobo/ddr3 cost" debate. Lets keep this CPU.

So you set terms for your trolling to keep the total platform cost of i7 down?

And btw - it would be very hard for the OP Troll to insert a Phenom II 940 into an s754 or s939 mobo - I guess you didn't read the first line of his Troll Post

Quote:
"" ... I was just about to purchase my first AMD cpu in 5 years ...""

Oops on you.

March 20, 2009 11:41:08 PM

I can see the usefullness of a post talking about a special hot deal, to get em while they last, but this just doesnt cut it. If its localized to one spot, then get the news out, if one spot is charging too much, then go somewheres else, simple as that, and thats what this post is about, not i7, not really even about AMD, but more to do with sales, and popularity, supply and demand. Good to see AMDs chips going up in demand
March 21, 2009 12:02:25 AM

Wisecracker said:
So you set terms for your trolling to keep the total platform cost of i7 down?

And btw - it would be very hard for the OP Troll to insert a Phenom II 940 into an s754 or s939 mobo - I guess you didn't read the first line of his Troll Post

Quote:
"" ... I was just about to purchase my first AMD cpu in 5 years ...""

Oops on you.

Nothing in your entire post makes any sense. Nothing, at all. Its all random typing. Speaking of typing, dont do it anymore.
March 21, 2009 12:04:33 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I can see the usefullness of a post talking about a special hot deal, to get em while they last, but this just doesnt cut it. If its localized to one spot, then get the news out, if one spot is charging too much, then go somewheres else, simple as that, and thats what this post is about, not i7, not really even about AMD, but more to do with sales, and popularity, supply and demand. Good to see AMDs chips going up in demand

The OP probably didnt realize it was a sale. But if hes building a new system from the ground up (which is assumed by his OP), then $30 shouldnt be a total deal breaker to begin with. That part I cant get, whats $30 in a ~$1000 build?
March 21, 2009 12:08:49 AM

spathotan said:

Lets keep this CPU? How in any way does that even come close to making ANY sense at all? That CPU will require more expensive components, which brings up the price. I don't care if it isn't the CPU directly doing it (it is, the CPU requires these), money is money. For $280 you can get a Phenom II 940 and a good motherboard, or for $470 you can get an i7 920 with the cheapest board possibly, not even pointing out RAM. $190 is the difference between a 4870 and a 4870 X2.
March 21, 2009 12:11:20 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Lets keep this CPU? How in any way does that even come close to making ANY sense at all? That CPU will require more expensive components, which brings up the price. I don't care if it isn't the CPU directly doing it (it is, the CPU requires these), money is money. For $280 you can get a Phenom II 940 and a good motherboard, or for $470 you can get an i7 920 with the cheapest board possibly, not even pointing out RAM. $190 is the difference between a 4870 and a 4870 X2.

I understand this, just me. The intent was to keep the topic about the CPU and not everything else. Of course an i7 system is more expensive than a Phenom build, im not gonna be a fool and try to mask that. If I was gonna do that I would claim AM3 boards cost four times as much as they really do, kinna like how enigma claims i7 cost $1100.
March 21, 2009 12:14:13 AM

No problem bro. The OP is obviously a troll, as I have NEVER seen anyone get so pissed over a deal, let alone $30. I wasn't even that pissed when I missed the Asus P6T Deluxe + i7 920 for $120 combo near Christmas.
March 21, 2009 12:15:39 AM

Enigma is a troll. Don't drop to his level.
Focusing just on the CPU doesnt help. It's obvious he's building a new rig, not only adding a new CPU.

Therefore, a PII rig is cheaper than and i7 rig.
March 21, 2009 12:15:58 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
No problem bro. The OP is obviously a troll, as I have NEVER seen anyone get so pissed over a deal, let alone $30. I wasn't even that pissed when I missed the Asus P6T Deluxe + i7 920 for $120 combo near Christmas.

I agree that his post is a little off edge, but if there is any credit to give he probably didnt know it was a sale. But like I said in my above post, $30 shouldnt be a deal breaker to begin with for a new build. Its a given than hundreds at least are going to be spent.
March 21, 2009 12:37:17 AM

And im going to go ahead and contradict myself since its already been brought up by bloodraven.

Assuming both builds are ment to be used for newest tech, ala AM3...4 slots with DDR3 1333mhz in both builds...similar features on both boards such as full 16/16 crossfire/SLi, the price difference is less than $100 using quality yet modestly priced parts.

Intel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... CPU $280

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Mobo $210 (not the cheapest one either)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... RAM $75

$564.97 total in Newegg cart.

AMD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... CPU $225

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Mobo $180 (remember...similar features on both builds, aka new top end chipsets with new full support like AM3/DDR3...)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... RAM $75

$479.89 total in Newegg cart

$85 price difference. Of course if you want to take the "both builds using top, newest tech" guideline to a higher level we can replace the RAM on the i7 rig for a 6GB Corsair kit for $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , and a motherboard that has 6 slots for $250 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , this brings the total to $619 which is a $139 difference.

The differences in performance warrant the extra $140. But it also carries stuff nobody needs, like 6GB of RAM, hince the builds with 4GB. Also considering DDR3 offers nothing to AM3, you can slim that RAM down to DDR2 as well as the board and your difference is going obviously increase.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2009 12:38:29 AM

spathotan said:
Nothing in your entire post makes any sense. Nothing, at all. Its all random typing. Speaking of typing, dont do it anymore.

WC apparently believes he was magically promoted to Mod, or at least anointed TG's Troll-buster..

I just hope Bloodraven was joking about the Xmas deal of an i920 + P6tDeluxe for $120. Or else I'm gonna have bad dreams all weekend :) 

March 21, 2009 12:45:14 AM

Nope it was true, 100 sold and not 1 combo to me. Oh and Spath, there is no difference in performance between DDR3 and DDR2, which slices off $30 for the RAM and $80 for the board. When you compare them in a fair way such as the lowest price that does not sacrifice performance you get an easy $200 or more difference. Let us not even mention the amazing combo deals with the Phenoms.
March 21, 2009 12:46:44 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
WC apparently believes he was magically promoted to Mod, or at least anointed TG's Troll-buster..

Well you know those fascist right wings... :D 
March 21, 2009 12:51:44 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Nope it was true, 100 sold and not 1 combo to me. Oh and Spath, there is no difference in performance between DDR3 and DDR2, which slices off $30 for the RAM and $80 for the board. When you compare them in a fair way such as the lowest price that does not sacrifice performance you get an easy $200 or more difference. Let us not even mention the amazing combo deals with the Phenoms.

Yea I added that tidbit about the RAM while I was editing my post. Just wanted to make it clear from both sides of the fence, that if you want top end newest tech that Phenom CAN be just as expensive as i7. But if you just want a damn system that will work and dont need the extreme then PII is the way to go without a doubt.

I myself bought a X3370 to replace my archaic Q6600. Im not about to spend $270 for a good motherboard despite my X3370 costing more than the i7 920. I can still beat/match it in games, which is all I do.
March 21, 2009 1:00:55 AM

Yeah contrary to what some believe my i7 920 @ 4.2 Ghz is amazing for synthetic benchmarks, that's it. It did not even give me a major boost with 2 4870 X2s over my old dualcore. I believe that if you compared a Phenom II or C2Q or C2D at 3.8 Ghz+ and an i7 @ 3.8 Ghz+, the difference with high end card combos would be very minimal, atleast that is what I have seen.
March 21, 2009 1:03:27 AM

Well in the benchmarks i7 really beefs up SLI/Crossfire setups. But those setups were already maxing out games to begin with so the only way you see it is through charts and graphs, which...dosent really do anything. Which is why you havnt seen any difference, you were already owning games.
March 21, 2009 1:10:28 AM

True, but I had hoped to boost some minimum framerates, and that did not work very well.
March 21, 2009 1:13:17 AM

Well that's just Crossfire doing its "magic". My minimums increased dropping my CFed 4850s for this GTX 285. So did my average, max FPS is barely lower, if at all.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 21, 2009 1:21:59 AM

papazulu said:

Forget that.

you mean you missed the discount they offered on the retail price because you werent fast enough so its THEIR fault? ROFLMAO

buy a combo with a mb and you save more than that anyway
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2009 2:14:48 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:

Geez, there must have been a catch somewhere, at that price. Maybe they were mysteriously out of stock unless you bought the $300 fire, flood & meteor damage warranty, like some mailorder retailers in the news recently :) .

Now if they only offer the same deal next month, with the D0 stepping...
March 21, 2009 4:32:10 PM

spathotan said:
Well that's just Crossfire doing its "magic". My minimums increased dropping my CFed 4850s for this GTX 285. So did my average, max FPS is barely lower, if at all.

There must have been something wrong because from my experience 2 4850s blow away an overclocked GTX 280. As a matter of fact I would go as far as to say that they were noticeably different in most games. I say this after comparing a system I built with 2 heavily overclocked 4830s with an E5200 @ 3.6 Ghz and another system with a heavily OC'd GTX 280 and a Q6600 @ 3.8 Ghz, there was a definite difference. It has nothing to do with crossfire, I gained a good 10-20 minimum FPS in all games which is significant. In many cases my minimum framerate doubled. i7, however did not bring much of an improvement over my E8600 @ 4.8 Ghz, but I guess the E8600 was pretty damn good anyway. This is not to say I in any way regret my i7, I wanted it and I knew it would not be a noticeable upgrade, but I wanted it. Now that the HD format plug in is out for my Archos 5 player I will be encoding and converting a lot of HD files which should put me in CPU heaven (assuming my Archos 5 ever gets fixed...).

fazers_on_stun said:
Geez, there must have been a catch somewhere, at that price. Maybe they were mysteriously out of stock unless you bought the $300 fire, flood & meteor damage warranty, like some mailorder retailers in the news recently :) .

Now if they only offer the same deal next month, with the D0 stepping...

Actually it was a black Friday type of deal, and no there were no strings attached. People jumped on it though and I was too late, life sucks sometimes.
March 21, 2009 4:50:14 PM

I was so happy to replace my Q6600.
March 21, 2009 11:57:10 PM

Good article on TR http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16570
"Generally speaking, AMD's Phenom II X4 processors appear to be slightly better deals than the Intel Core 2 Quad equivalents. Not only are they great performers for the money, but the Socket AM2+ and AM3 platform has a better upgrade path than Intel's soon-to-be-retired LGA775 platform. The Phenom II X3 720 is more of a mixed bag, since it's the top performer neither in single-threaded tasks nor in heavily multithreaded ones. However, the 720 is still a good middle ground between cheap quad-cores and high-end dual-core CPUs."
This was done without the 30$ off, which is mentioned as well, so not sure what the Op is complaining about
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2009 2:12:16 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Good article on TR http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16570
"Generally speaking, AMD's Phenom II X4 processors appear to be slightly better deals than the Intel Core 2 Quad equivalents. Not only are they great performers for the money, but the Socket AM2+ and AM3 platform has a better upgrade path than Intel's soon-to-be-retired LGA775 platform. The Phenom II X3 720 is more of a mixed bag, since it's the top performer neither in single-threaded tasks nor in heavily multithreaded ones. However, the 720 is still a good middle ground between cheap quad-cores and high-end dual-core CPUs."
This was done without the 30$ off, which is mentioned as well, so not sure what the Op is complaining about

?? According to that article, the 6400+ is by far the best "bang for the buck" - no need to buy K10 or K10.5. I'd guess a CPU that bottlenecks at 1 frame per hour, but only cost 1 cent, would probably take the top spot by a huge margin :) . Anyway, the article is pretty much outdated now, considering the recent price drops on the mobos and memory.

The article also stated:

Quote:
Also, the Core i7-920 really distances itself from other processors in multithreaded tasks, but without giving much ground to dual-core chips in other tasks. Pricey X58 motherboards and DDR3 memory make the i7-920 an expensive step up, but clearly, you're not throwing your money out the window. The i7-920's position bodes well for upcoming mainstream Nehalem derivatives (Lynnfield), provided they're not dramatically slower.

IIRC Intel won't EOL LGA775 until next year sometime, at which time AM2+ will probably be dead as well as far as new sales go. Given that you can now buy 6 GB of DDR3 for $90, I think many people will be considering the AM3 boards as more 'future-proof'.
March 22, 2009 4:17:52 PM

LGA 775 is too popular, and if you owned a Q9000 there was no legit reason to go to i7 unless you did something like professional work. My X3370 (Q9650) matches and even beats the i7 920 in games, which is all that matters to me.

I gotta agree with fazers that intel wont kill LGA 775 this year, I would go as far as to say they will be releasing a new chip for it as well as a new chipset before its death. Maybe i5 without the memory controler? Or a weaker P55?
March 22, 2009 4:44:27 PM

Yea, TR is such a trashy site. Im just repeating their conclusions. If you dont like em, thats cool. And saying their marks show the dual the best buy, well for gaming, duals do do great. But, since that ISNT their recommended findings, its a moot point isnt it?
March 18th is old?
!