Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How can i know when to stop overclocking.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 24, 2010 2:43:51 AM

Hello every one, i am newbie.

How to know when to stop overclocking more.

i have heard to run stress test and if it is not stable then i should underclock. but what do you guys mean not stable and stable? do the computer shuts down and cant start or the system is slow.

please tell i am newbie in overclocking. hope you understand my question.

(sorry for my english.)

Thanks in advance.

More about : stop overclocking

May 24, 2010 9:43:32 AM

when we mean : unstable, it's your computer's which have crashed, made blue screen of death, restarted.

If you want to know if you computer's is stable, download OCCT and if the test is done without error, your system is stable and you will be able to o/c more.

Could you tell me about CPU, Power supply and motherboard and I could answer your question.

There is a lot of tutorial about o/c you should look at these
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 24, 2010 12:13:56 PM

Most people realize it by their third RMA. :lol: 

Sorry I couldn't resist! :lol: 

You stop overclocking when you've reached the highest STABLE overclock your hardware can run with the cooling solution you have.
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2010 12:31:45 PM

clement4413 said:
when we mean : unstable, it's your computer's which have crashed, made blue screen of death, restarted.

If you want to know if you computer's is stable, download OCCT and if the test is done without error, your system is stable and you will be able to o/c more.

Could you tell me about CPU, Power supply and motherboard and I could answer your question.

There is a lot of tutorial about o/c you should look at these

i want to overclock i7 860 with 500 watts psu and asus maximus III formula with zalman cnps10x performa. i have gts 250 1GB graphics card.

Do i need more power supply?
m
l
May 24, 2010 1:19:06 PM

ruffandruff said:
i want to overclock i7 860 with 500 watts psu and asus maximus III formula with zalman cnps10x performa. i have gts 250 1GB graphics card.

Do i need more power supply?

You have got a great configuration :) 
About your PSU, it depends of the brand (corsair, be quiet, Antec...) using. If it's noname PSU, you could meet some problem as unstability, BSOD or other...
Even burn your PSU along with some composants (Perhaps MB, GPU or nothing)

So what PSU's brand do you have ?
Thx
m
l
May 24, 2010 1:36:42 PM

clement4413 said:
You have got a great configuration :) 
About your PSU, it depends of the brand (corsair, be quiet, Antec...) using. If it's noname PSU, you could meet some problem as unstability, BSOD or other...
Even burn your PSU along with some composants (Perhaps MB, GPU or nothing)

So what PSU's brand do you have ?
Thx

i am using corsiar
m
l
May 24, 2010 2:36:56 PM

OK, your PSU are going to suffice, corsair is a good brand, I have got a corsair HX620 Watts (I won it in contest) and I o/c my core I7 920 at 3.4 ghz. you will be able to o/c like you'll wish it.

You asked me : Do i need more power supply?
The answer is : No He needn't more power supply.
m
l
May 24, 2010 5:46:03 PM

clement4413 said:
OK, your PSU are going to suffice, corsair is a good brand, I have got a corsair HX620 Watts (I won it in contest) and I o/c my core I7 920 at 3.4 ghz. you will be able to o/c like you'll wish it.

You asked me : Do i need more power supply?
The answer is : No He needn't more power supply.

thanks. is it ok to go 3.8 ghz on this power supply
m
l

Best solution

May 24, 2010 6:02:58 PM

yes, of course !!
I met one personn by a forum and he has o/c core I7 975 EE at 4.2 ghz + HD 5970 (I don't remember frequencies any more). Its power Supply was Corsair HX520 watts. So you can o/c as you wish

May 25, 2010 12:00:15 PM

Best answer selected by ruffandruff.
m
l
May 25, 2010 12:00:29 PM

clement4413 said:
yes, of course !!
I met one personn by a forum and he has o/c core I7 975 EE at 4.2 ghz + HD 5970 (I don't remember frequencies any more). Its power Supply was Corsair HX520 watts. So you can o/c as you wish

thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo.................................much. it help me a lot.
m
l
!