Windows trail when moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

rzombeck

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Okay, I've seen some issues throughout and still not found any resolution and I don't think turning off windows contents is a viable or acceptable solution - more like a band aid.

Here's the issue: When I drag a window over another window the first window leaves a trail and remnants of itself across the other window. It also appears that the second window us redrawing slowly. By slowly I mean 1/4 - 1/2 second

Here are the rig's specs:
XP pro SP3
nvidia 9800 GTX - latest driver
2 gig RAM
680i MoBo
Samsung 2232BW Monitor 1680x1050 60hrz (highest it'll go)
Intel Q6600 Quad

Games seem to work okay.

My main question is. Could this be the monitor or is what I'm experience normal and I'm just picky. I'm getting close to the acceptable time to return the thing so, well you get the point.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Avenger 09

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Funny :( I just googled the problem and came here first.

Suffering the same thing... similar set up... hope you dont mind me mentioning my specs too Rich.

- Q6600
- 8800GT (updated)
- 4GB RAM (Corsair)
- XP Pro SP2
- P5N32-E Sli Mobo

I do wonder if it could be RAM issues or memory timings? I'm using Corsair PC2-6400. CPUZ shows something a little odd maybe. One of the 2GB sticks reads differently to the other (from cpuz):

slot 1 / slot 2
- Frequency 270MHz / 400MHz
- CAS Latency 4.0 / 5.0 clocks
- RAS to CAS 4.0 / 5.0 clocks
- RAS 4.0 / 5.0 clocks
- Tras 13 / 18 clocks
- Trc 15 / 22 clocks

I would love to hear your thoughts people.

My system has been hanging daily requiring resets. Have you had the same problem Richard? What does CPUZ read for you?

bcmalloy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Just had the same thing happen windows leave trail when dragging sometimes
it goes away and does not seem to effect anything.

vista x64 oem
E8400
9800gtx+
4gb corsair ram
gigabyte g31 motherboard

maddin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hello there,

i´m having the exact same issue using an ATI based card, so i´ve replaced it with another card (also ATI) which works fine in another system. The problem remains, even after trying a different HDD, different RAM sticks, drivers, bios versions and settings, different PCIe Slots, PSU power rails, refresh rates, display resolutions, color depths, monitors (TFT or CRT) etc. etc.

Everything is up to date and working fine without a single problem, instability or overheat, but the problem doesn`t "go away" as bcmalloy writes. It starts right when i boot the system and it sucks big time.

It would be GREAT if someone can suggest ANYTHING to try or if someone just SOLVES this !!!

It`s not display driver (software/hardware) related. At least i´ve enshured this by swapping cards like an idiot. If i install the system from scratch, i can even see this happen even in VGA mode and 60hz.

Thank you, i love you. ;)
t.

Vythiel

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008

What monitor are you using when you see the trails? Some monitors using earlier Samsung PVA panels had a problem where a dark trail would follow a moving object over a dim background. This was due to it's "overdrive" technology which was meant to reduce response time. One model which I know had this issue was the Dell 2407WFP-HC.

maddin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Thank you both for trying to help.

@vythil: I´m using a 24" Sony Triniton CRT with 1680x1050 pixels and 85hz refresh rate. I´ve tried a different 21" CRT all with different resolutions, refresh rates and cables. All in all, 4 different VGA cables, one BNC cable and 3 different DVI to vga connectors.

@coozie7: It happens with an empty instance of IE7 and while dragging a single empty window over the toolbars, link area or menu area of IE. I cannot influence it by opening more windows. If a single window or the IE instance is dragged around and nothing is behind but the desktop icons, it leaves no trails.

It looks that the back buffer is not working right when i drag one window over the other. A window leaves it`s remnants (mostly the border) when dragged over another window. While dragging above IE, i do only get this if i drag outside the body area. Inside i have no trailing. Same happens with two windows opened. The trails only appear if the foreground window is dragged over the borders of the background window.

If i disable the option to "hide window contents while dragging", i can fix this issue with IE and windows but inside applications the problem remains when a toolbar or anything is dragged around. Minimizing or closing a window with another one behind works without leaving any traces.

Please let me know if you need more info. Thank you all !

maddin

Vythiel

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
It may help further if you post your system specifications (ie. CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Power supply, OS, etc..).

Other options to try:

- Try an LCD monitor (if possible) to see if it resolves the problem. Some video cards don't detect CRT monitors too well. A while back, I had an annoying issue where the mouse pointer would stutter across my CRT rather than move smoothly, The fix involved setting up a custom resolution that uses different timing. Your problem may be similar.

Failing that, try to:

- Perform a clean install of windows.

- Install the latest Directx package.

- Make sure you are using the primary PCI-E slot on your motherboard. Some SLI/Crossfire motherboards require that you use a specific slot when installing only one video card.

maddin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Tried these monitors, all with 2 different cables and 2 different DVI to VGA adapters:

CRT, Sony Triniton GDM FW900, 1680x1050 @ 85Hz and 100Hz, also tried 1024x768 @ 60Hz
CRT, Sony Triniton GDM 500 PS, 1280x1024 @ 85Hz, also tried 640x480 @ 60Hz
TFT, Eizo CE240W, 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, also tried 1680x1050 @ 60Hz

All these show the exact same problem, regardless of resolutions, color depth, refresh rate or cable used. I´ve tried both outputs on the HD4870 (both DVI) and both outputs on the X300 (DVI and VGA). It doesn`t make a difference if i use a different slot on the mainboard. (I have 2 PCI-Express x16 GEN 2 slots, board is crossfire capable).

All my tests are performed on two OS installations with XP64bit, SP2 all updates. (including drivers, net framework, C++ Redistributable files, DirectX 9c redistributable). The first OS test installation is on a single SATA HDD, the other on a RAID0. According to Supermicro site, all is up to date. The system works fine under load and doesn`t have any heat issues.

The system:

MB: Supermicro X7DWA-N
CPU: 2x Xeon E5472 with 3Ghz
RAM: Kingston FB-DIMM (2x4GB kit) and 4x4GB tested
Video: Sapphire HD4870 1GB (located in lower PCIe slot, default clocks), also X300 tested
PSU: Enermax Galaxy DXX 850W
HDD: Seagate ES2 250GB (single), also tested with two ES2 in RAID0
Case: Chenbro SR109

I´ve also thought, this must be video driver or video hardware related. But the X300 doesn`t show this problem when put in another system. Btw. the X7DWA-N mobo does have a "Maximum Payload Size" setting in the bios which is not listed in the manual. I can set it to 128B or 256B (for better PCIe. performance), nothing changes when i do it. There are only 3 options for each PCIe. Slot:

Option ROM Scan (enabled)
Enable Master (tried both, enabled or disabled)
Latency Timer (default).

For the Latency, i´ve tried all available latency values (0020h, 0040h, 0060h, 0080h, 00A0h, 00C0h, and 00E0h). No difference. I´m running out of ideas what else i could try. At least i can exclude PSU power rail fluctuation (the X300 doesn`t need PCIe power) and i can exclude RAM. I´ve today tested on two different RAM kits. Problem persists.

Whatever you can suggest, please do it so i can exclude it.

Thank you very much for your help, i appreciate it.

maddin

maddin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hello All,

i found something which influences the strength of the trailing when a window is moved and another one is behind. It is the USB mouse signal rate which is available in my Logitech G5 mouse options.

By default this value is set to 500 refreshes per second and i can clearly see the window trails. If i set it it to 1000 this effect gets increased drastically and if i decrease it down to the lowest rate of 125, the trailing get lesser.

It appears that the problem is bound to the mouse refresh rate and it`s relation to the screen refresh rate. If both are to different and out of sync, the problem occurs. Unfortunately, if i open 5-6 windows, i can increase the trailing further, so the more windows are opened, the more trails are visible. With only two windows opened, i nearly have no trailing.

What i don`t understand now is that i have set up a clean system without ever installing the mouse drivers and software, on this OS setup the problem happens and i don`t have any option to adjust the signal rate. So it looks like the default refresh rate under XP64 must be higher than 125.

I will next check if i can get better results if i connect the mouse via PS/2, this offers some ways to decrease the refresh rate (polling) further and below 125.

Thank you all for your kind help.

maddin

Vythiel

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
You eliminated everything except your CPUs and Motherboard. It may very well be that the problem you have having is due to your server motherboard and 2 CPU configuration. This is reminiscent of the older X2 AMD chips that would have synchronization issues between their cores.

I know it's a hassle, but is it possible to try a single slot motherboard with only one of those CPUs and all the exact same components?

nocbigpapa

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Disable "Display Pointer Trails" on your mouse. Go to Control Panel, mouse, pointer options. Worked great for me. Had the same issues till i did that. :D

G

Had the same problem on my pc and i realized it can be from the type of wallpaper you use, because i used a HD one and the problem persisted but now with a normal wallpaper, it's gone. I suggest getting a normal wallpaper until someone more tech savvy fixes this :\

G

Try this when open window is trailing when moved. It usually works. 1 Right click right hand mouse button on desk top. 2 Select properties. 3 Select Desktop tab. 4 Select costomize desktop. 5 Select Web tab. Uncheck any boxis checked. 6 Click OK. Try to move open window on desk top and see if it stoped trailing. Good luck. JD

Sizemore 00

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I'm having the same issue right now with my windows vista 32-bit. Dragging windows leaves trails over other windows. It's frustrating and I don't think it's a completely aesthetic problem - there is a significant spike in my CPU usage when dragging windows from 10% to 90% at some times and I'm sure that it is directly associated with moving windows around.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6700 notebook pc with Intel core 2 duo (1.66 & 1.67GHz) processor, 3G of RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS. All drivers are up to date.

Recently I had to replace my HDD. After that the problem seemed to start happening. I erased and installed vista twice in the last two weeks but the trails come back after about 24 hours. I keep my computer clean and as far as I'm concerned, this shouldn't be happening. I'm not overworking the computer. The trails are present even when only two windows are open and few applications are running.

!!!If someone could give the the answer to this ridiculous problem I would appreciate it greatly!!!

G

Try this when open window is trailing when moved. It usually works. 1 Right click right hand mouse button on desk top. 2 Select properties. 3 Select Desktop tab. 4 Select costomize desktop. 5 Select Web tab. Uncheck any boxis checked. 6 Click OK. Try to move open window on desk top and see if it stoped trailing. Good luck. JD

This was my problem. I disabled the webpage and unchecked "Make this page available offline" under the properties tab.

martinparks

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
This was my problem. I disabled the webpage and unchecked "Make this page available offline" under the properties tab.

That was it, oh man I have been try everything just like some of you and finally turning off "Make this page available offline" worked. Who would have figured this option would be so annoying.

maddin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hello @all,

after revisiting this page for a long time i´ve seen that some of the posters here have found a solution for the problem. Great but, unfortunately this solution only works in a Windows 32Bit, but in XP64 there is no "web" tab since it doesn`t have the "Active Desktop".

So i cannot disable this feature under XP64. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent setting in the registry to accomplish the same ?

Thank you all for your kind help,
maddin

lebles

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Wow I had this exact problem with vista 32bit, dragging windows accross each other made an annoying trail path, kinda bugged me so looked it up and first came here! Thought it was a refresh rate problem turned out it didnt make a difference, then as I was playing around for a bit on "personalise" (when u right clicked desktop) and all I did was change the theme to "Windows Aero" from "Windows Vista Basic" theme and the trail went away + my windows load up and minamize twice as quick now, pretty easy solution that worked for me!!!

Think the problem is just a theme incompatabily problem with vista thats all!!!

G

Thank you lebles !!!! Changing from Windows Basic back to Aero solved the problem for me (HP Pavilion dv2700, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 system running Vista 64 and Explorer 8).

I had been fooling around with font sizes becasue google's new search box font was driving me crazy and, in my quest for a better font, I switched from Windows Aero to Windows Basic. Did a lot of other changes at the same time, too, and all of a sudden these trails showed up as I dragged windows, like a series of "memories" of the windows. I used to see the same thing behind the cards in my ancient computer when I played Freecell and figured that becasue I'd recently downloaded Explorer 8 and Norton 360 and a bunch of updates programs, my CPU useage had increased and the system slowed as a result.

MESSAGE: If your Vista sytem suddenly develops trails behind windows that you drag, first take a look at your Mouse Pointer Options and make sure you are not deliberately making trails, then go to Control Panel/Appearance & Personalization/Custom Colors, then at the bottom choose Open classic appearance properties for more color options and make sure the Color Scheme chosen is Windows Aero. You can also speed your system up a little by clicking on Effects and uncheck the box Show Window Contents While Dragging.

G

I know this might be a little late but I had the same problem and it was BAD. I am running Vista 64-bit and all I did was go into the Control Panel -> Performance Information and Tools and pressed the "Update Now!" button. After that everything worked perfectly!

tennissanta

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I had this problem on my Mom's comp and fixed it by changing the desktop background. Here are the pertinent details:

Dell Dimension 8250
Clean install XP SP3
250 & 40 gb HD's
1gb ram
2.4 ghz Pentium 4
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

I used the Win 7 stock background, but apparently the computer couldn't handle it. As soon as I changed the background back to one of the canned backgrounds in control panel -> display -> desktop everything was fine. No more stupidly annoying window trails.

eric_w

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

This got me on the right track to a fix so thanks to whoever posted it. I opened the desktop properties as outlined above and then selected "none" as my desktop wallpaper which returned it to a plain blue background rather than the photo I previously had as the wallpaper. This completely fixed the window trailing problem.

Then I read further down in the suggestions and found the note about unchecking "make this page available offline" so I reactivated my photo wallpaper and unchecked this box. All was still fixed after doing this.

Important to note: For me, this problem occurred immediately after I picked up a trojan called "worm.win32.netsky" that was one of those scareware things popping up fake messages about your computer being infected and trying to get you to buy their fake antivirus software. Part of this attack was that it replaced my photo wallpaper with a bright green background containing a message about virus infection. I think it was part of this trojan that messed with the desktop background settings.

Eric

Mindripper56

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Okay guys: I finally figured it out. Actually, using Windows 'Help' has this info. This is for Win XP Pro OS -

Control Panel
System
'Advanced' tab
'Performance': 'Settings' button
Click on 'Custom' radio button
unselect 'Show window contents while dragging'
Apply
OK

I experienced this problem in several (CAD) applications, so I suspected it was an OS thing all along.

Mindripper56

Status
Not open for further replies.