Motherboard reading Flash Drive as Primary Disk?!?!

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I just built a new rig with an ASUS P6T mobo, and whenever I leave a flash drive in the USB plug or an external hardrive plugged in, and the start the computer, it attempts to read the OS off of those devices when there isn't one. Also, when I go into the BIOS when those devices are plugged in, it reads them as the primary boot device, and does not list my main HDD which is a velociraptor. IDK why it is doing this, please help....

There could be a couple of things. I had this similar problem recenty on a XP build. I had left the flash drive in during the initial installation and it read as a primary drive too. I ended up re-installing the OS without any external drives (flash or otherwise). Then after installation of the OS I plugged in the flash drive. This was then registered as a removable drive. There might also be a BIOS setting that is off that is causing this too. I think if you have the flash drive as one of the primary boot up devices you might run into what your seeing currently. Don't know for sure, but it's something to check out.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
You'll find alot of motherboards are set by default to boot from either a network controler (Which is dead useful for system builders like me. :p), or from removable disks, which would easily translate into USB.

There is often a bios setting that will turn off USB booting altogether, but if there isnt, just rearange your boot order to go 1st: optical 2nd: HDD 3rd: removable.

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Now, for whatever reason, it will not even attempt to boot with a flash drive in the USB controller; it just gets stuck at post and will not even let me go into the bios. I tried to look for some sort of setting that would disable booting from an external device, but there is nothing there. Any other ideas?

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
thanks for all the help. i got it to work by disable all doot devices except for my primary hdd. that seems to have done the trick.