Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asrock p55 extreme cant change qpi

Last response: in Overclocking
May 24, 2010 6:50:26 PM

Hello,
I bought an AsRock p55 Extreme motherboard and a Core I3 530 Processor. I go into my bios to overclock it and the option for QPI frequency in greyed out. The bios is flashed to the latest version. Any ideas what the problem is?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2010 8:00:29 AM

From wikipedia:
Although the Core i7-9xx processors use QPI, other Nehalem desktop and mobile processors (e.g. Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7-8xx) do not-- at least in any externally accessible fashion. These processors cannot participate in a multiprocessor system. Instead, they directly implement the DMI and PCI-e interfaces.
June 13, 2010 10:00:39 AM

festerovic said:
From wikipedia:
Although the Core i7-9xx processors use QPI, other Nehalem desktop and mobile processors (e.g. Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7-8xx) do not-- at least in any externally accessible fashion. These processors cannot participate in a multiprocessor system. Instead, they directly implement the DMI and PCI-e interfaces.

I believe that may just be the mobile processors. I updated my bios again last night to a new version that is only a couple of weeks old and it fixed the problem. I can now oc over 4.0 and I'm only limited by my Bclk.
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2010 2:11:54 PM

damn, that's great. What a nice OC. Do you play games on this machine? Is the performance when OC'd noticeable?
June 18, 2010 7:12:33 PM

festerovic said:
damn, that's great. What a nice OC. Do you play games on this machine? Is the performance when OC'd noticeable?

Yes, I mainly game on it and I'll tell you the Core i3 is amazing for gaming. It scales very well in most games and It feels about twice as fast at 4.1 as it did at 2.9. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ I bought on Amazon for $29 brand new and OC'd and maxed out in Prime 95 it never goes over 55C. I'm running it at like 1.35 Vcore, which is actually high for this chip. I have 2 Asus 9600GT Top cards (Also OC'd) in SLI and in 3DMark 06 I score 16,449 @ 1440X900. I'm selling one and getting a 5830 though, probably use the other 9600GT for Physx.
July 15, 2010 1:08:58 PM

Best answer selected by Andon48.
!