HAF 932
Intel DX58SO Socket LGA1366 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
OCZ Gold Tri Channel 3072MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz

PSU:
Ultra X3 1600w PSU

HDD / OS
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD (7200/16MB/SATA-3G)

PERIPH:
LG 22X DVDRW SATA
ULTRA 3.5 FLOPPY DRIVE W/MULTI CARD RDR
Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty
Diamond Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB PCIe

----------------------------PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've found this site to be VERY helpful so far so I thought I'd drop in and see if I could get some help! I've just finished building a new system that I'm very excited about. The system seems to be functioning fine, but I'd say every 1/5 times it fails to POST. It basically loads up the Video Driver Screen, and then hit shows a _ cursor key in the upper left corner and hangs. All fans and LED's are functioning, and I have onscreen video. The HDD Light stays on(but it stays on when idle), and the keyboard NUMLOCK is stuck to on as well(cant turn numlock off or capslock etc indicated no response from keyboard). The DVD-R can still be open/closed, and the flash card reader light will go on and off if I take a card out.

It would be EASIER for me if it failed to post everytime, then I could remove peripherals and see what is causing the failure, but because it fails to post at what seems to be random occasions I can't troubleshoot.

I would like to note that it has never failed to post on hard boot/reboot but fails to post on a soft reboot (OS reboot) - At first I thought it was failing to reboot at all but indeed a soft reboot (os reboot) will sucessfully reboot the machine, show the video card screen but instead of showing the fancy intel startup screen with the BIOS info it just freezes. However, I can't get it to fail on every soft reboot (os reboot) but only once in a while. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance!

sapam

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I seem to have somewhat the same problem.

1) HDD LED is always on, even when the HDD is idle, blinks when there is HDD Activity

2) During POST there are 2 flickering lines in upper half of screen after the splash screen and also on hte next screen where you see the CODES on the lower right of screen.

Should i Update the BIOS. And which method should i follow to update the BIOS. I have been reading a lot about BIOS update failure. Thats keepign me away form updating the BIOS.

janlindo

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I also have the same behavior where HDD LED still blinks even the HDD is idle. @sapam, did you you find out something about it?

sapam

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
@jalindo, I think it is how it is suppose to be. The motherboard HDD LED is always on. I haven't tried further investigating it. I think its perfectly normal behavior, so don't worry about it. About your HDD LED Blinking I think some background process must be accessing your HDD so that could cause it blink.

janlindo

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
@sapam, thanks for the reply.

Actually mine is turned off and blinks when there's an activity.

I disabled the DVD drive and the constant flashing went away. I found out that the SATA controller is constantly polling for the DVD drive if the media has changed and it is flashing the LED about every 1 second.

I agree this is not something to be really concerned about but I hope this will help anyone who may experience the behavior.